London SE1 community website

Old Blackfriars Station in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Saturday 26 November 2005 5.53pm
Cycling past this morning, I noticed that the lettering has been restored/replaced/reinstated.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 20 September 2006 10.19am
Re. the original subject of this thread, I noticed last night that the former station entrance has been excavated and the frontage of the old minicab office removed.

I hope Spacia are going to do something with the space. It's very small (and doesn't seem to connect with the railway arch behind it in Scoresby Street) but would make a nice coffee kiosk or something like that.

Wednesday 20 September 2006 10.26am
I would rather it be anything but a coffee shop
Wednesday 20 September 2006 2.49pm
Surely a coffee shop is better than a boarded up, pigeon's toilet?

I agree that a kiosk would be good.
Monday 1 August 2005 7.22pm

At the junction of The Cut/Union Street and Blackfriars Road, the damage in WW2 was roughly this:

South and North Western corners (either side of Union Street) - buildings mostly damaged beyond repair or in the case of part of the Palestra site, totaly destroyed. A V1 flying bomb also hit here, although you can never be sure whether the damage was caused by this or previous bombs in the Blitz. I think "The Ring" was on the site at the time.

On the site of Southwark tube station, the corner itself had some general non-structural damage, but the building next to the bridge itself was totally destroyed. Other than these, the buildings on The Cut on either side of the road suffered some serious but repairable damage.

If anyone else wants me to look up an address, let me know.

Regards

Loafer
Monday 3 September 2007 3.16pm
Emmesse wrote:
Surely a coffee shop is better than a boarded up, pigeon's toilet?
I agree that a kiosk would be good.
A new sandwich bar called Toast Office (AFAIK no relation to Post in Bermondsey St) has just opened in that space.

Monday 3 September 2007 3.41pm
Loafer did a landmine drop in Deverell Street? :-)

thanking you in advance...:-)
Tuesday 4 September 2007 9.50am
Jan

You can go to the local studies library on Borough High Street and ask to see the map.
Tuesday 4 September 2007 12.42pm
Brilliant, I did not think about john harvard..:-)
Zoe
Tuesday 4 September 2007 8.45pm
There are quite a few little stalls there now, a fruit and veg stall, a flower seller, magazine stand and now 'Toast Office'.

I would never have guessed stalls would develop there, it used to be deserted except for street drinkers and rough sleepers.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions