London SE1 community website

The Crown, 108 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Tuesday 21 February 2006 2.26pm
Does anyone know if the Crown has a TV screen for showing sports. I am trying to avoid the football tonight it at all possible. Cheers.
Tuesday 21 February 2006 3.32pm
No screen to my knowledge, and have been in a few times. In fact I would suggest it is probably a perfect spot for avoiding the football...
Wednesday 22 March 2006 9.08pm
My wife and I went in the Crown tonight, sadly the Bombardier bitter is no longer on. I don't know if this is a permanent thing, hopefully not. I had to resort to Fosters.
Wife wanted a Smirnoff Ice Red. They did not have that either, they only had the black. Hopefully things will improve.
Saturday 1 April 2006 6.17pm
Just to let you know, the Bombadier is now back on. There is also now red and black Smirnoff ices and no there is no big screen tv showing football anymore

XXX
Sunday 2 April 2006 10.55pm
re: i am trying to research the history of this pub. can anyone help? previous owners/landlords from the early part of the last century. particularly interested in landlords by the name of powell. all help in this gratefullt recieved, thanx. oh, by the way, i think strongbow rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 1.51am
Dear Kels,
According to a Commercial directory of that time, my great-great-great-uncle Castre Richard Sherwood was the landlord of a pub by the name of The Crown in the years between c1825 and c1834 at Lunt Street, Borough. As Lunt street no longer exists I wonder if this might have been the same pub - its address changed by the realignment of Blackfriars Road?
Margaret in Oz.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 7.39pm
Margaret

There are two separate pubs called The Crown - on Blackfriars Road and on Lant Street, Borough Road - listed in this useful listing of late Victorian London pubs: http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/pubs.html

Could your records be a typo or misread handwriting? Lant Street is best known as the "Street in the Borough where 12-year-old Dickens had lodgings in a rented attic while his father was in the Marshalsea prison for debt."

Lant Street still exists, although largely rebuilt since the 1890s following slum clearance and later bomb damage. The pub there today - the Gladstone Arms is much more modern and recently inspired its own thread.
Thursday 6 April 2006 2.51am
Dear Lang Rabbie,
Thanks for that info. I suspected as much. The record I have was from a commercial directory (c 1830 but I can't find it immediately) and it said:- Sherwood Rd. - Licensed victualler - Crown. 16 Lant Street, Boro.
We a pretty sure that is OUR Richard (without the unusual first name Castre which he seems to have dropped). He was previously a bricklayer, firstly with his father and later on is own account - and we have many records of that . We know that he died somewhere between 1833 (when his last child was born) and 1840 (when his wife re-married).
Do you think that the pub still looks as it was back then? Do you know of any pictures?
But none of that is of interest to Kels as it is the wrong Crown pub. Cheers
Margaret in Oz.
Saturday 2 January 2010 4.19pm
Tv's have now been installed in the Crown, sky is being installed next week and we will be open weekends from sat 16th jan
Adnams is our house ale and we have a continual range of guest ales as well.
families are welcome for dining.
The pub is availiable for functions on sat nights and we will entertain most types of functions.

any questions
please drop in and see us

cheers

Phil
Monday 4 January 2010 11.46am
bigphil wrote:
Tv's have now been installed in the Crown, sky is being installed next week

Personally I'm not a fan of television in pubs. Is it upstairs or will it dominate the whole pub?

Will it be on all of the time or just occassionally so those who arent a fan can avoid, but still get to enjoy the new and improved The Crown?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions