London SE1 community website

The Crown, 108 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Friday 29 January 2010 9.52am
This forum only exists to publicise The Crown, 108 Blackfriars Road, doesn't it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 29 January 2010 11.00am
I am very happy for business people like bigphil to have a conversation with customers and potential customers via this forum.

I positively welcome it.

But it's a finely-balanced thing and people representing businesses shouldn't over-do it.

bigphil has sometimes overstepped the line by starting threads to promote events etc and I've either deleted the messages or merged them into this thread.

I've been meaning to drop bigphil a friendly email to say so, but haven't had time.

If anyone thinks that a message is inappropriate they should use the 'report to moderator' button.

But let's not put off other people running local businesses from having transparent, above-board conversations with local people via this forum - far better that than the astroturfing that destroys trust and credibility.

[And if anyone wants to make comments or suggestions as to what our policy should be on such matters, please feel free to air your views over in the Feedback section]

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 29 January 2010 11.31am
(Not that it's any of my business, but my opinionis that)
- it's great to see businesses on here, out in the open
- it's great to hear about new businesses and people trying to make a go of things in SE1
- when people are setting up a business, I can understand that a a thread (whilst it's basically marketing) could be useful to both them and possibly to us, over the initial setting up/settling in period, BUT
- there's a line, and, personally, I don't see why "news" such as "the Crown is now selling beer...and food" merits constant updates.

Credit to bigphil and his marketing efforts, but imagine how the forum would look if every other business in SE1 went down this route.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 29 January 2010 11.46am
Thanks Ivanhoe - all very fair comments. If anyone has anything further to say policy-wise, please add it over in the Feedback section.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 29 January 2010 12.06pm
I agree. One notification (actually two as there was a Lunch Club one too) is absolutely fine. We;re glad to hear about new places, management changes of old places etc., but that's enough. Agree with Ivanhoe and James, and sorry if I put my oar in inappropriately, but bigphil DID seem to be rather over doing it!
Friday 29 January 2010 4.09pm
Sorry if I have upset anybody ,
But through this forum , I have met met quite a few Se1'ers, hat have popped into the pub for a number of reasons.
we have also used info we read in other forums and find the site very helpful.

I did actually send off requesting info on how to advertise on the site but didnt get an answer.

anyway , have a good weekend all. you know where i'll be if you fancy a visit

cheers
Phil
Friday 29 January 2010 6.05pm
Really, I don't see that Phil has overstepped the mark. I see where James is coming from, he being the moderator, but it just seems a bit of a whinge from the others. No offence to you all, just my opinion. After all, living in Webber St it's great that a pub is opening w/ends when there has been so many pubs that have closed weekends or permanently.
Gotta admit, though, haven't managed to get there yet.
Hi ho.
Best,
J
Friday 29 January 2010 7.39pm
bigphil wrote:
anyway , have a good weekend all. you know where i'll be if you fancy a visit
cheers
Phil

Where might that be then?

Seriously though, I popped in The Crown last week. Although a real ale drinker, I sold my soul and bought the pint of Kronenbourg and a burger offer for 5.
Bigphil, I hope you do well. I also don't have any problem with way Bigphil has openly promoted his place. Lots of pubs around here are closed weekends so anyone that makes an effort to open for the locals has my vote.
Saturday 6 February 2010 10.21am
looking for a Pub showing the England v Wales rugby?

we are!!

come on down for a great afternoon of rugby, beers and burgers

cheers

phil
Thursday 11 February 2010 10.46am
More rugby this weekend.

we of course are showing it all

and maybe a bit of football inbetween.

beer & burger deal is still going but have added brains SA to the deal.

give me a call if you need more info

cheers

phil
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions