London SE1 community website

Tooley Street Red Route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10
Tuesday 26 July 2005 8.28pm
Lang Rabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> London SE1 Community Website
> newsdesk&#
> 64;inSE1.co.
> ;uk

All press releases, tip offs and story ideas for this website should come to james.hatts@banksidepress.com - the other address is for our sister printed publication.

Southwark have completely mangled the information given about our publications on their site - I'll email them about it.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 3 August 2005 8.18pm

Our Ref: SM002112/6
Date: 03 August 2005

Dear Mr Jorgensen,

Tooley Street Red Route

Thank you for your e-mail of 21 July 2005 addressed to the Mayor concerning tour coaches parking along Tooley Street. I have been asked to reply on his behalf.

I am sorry to learn that you have witnessed tour coaches parking on Tooley Street. I would like to assure you that as this is a Red route Tour coaches are not allowed to park on this street, and that we take non-compliance with The High Way Code by vehicle owners very seriously.

I have forwarded your concerns to our Enforcement Services Team who will investigate the issues you raised. I also asked that they reply to you directly with the outcome of their investigations, and that they send me a copy.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. If you have further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Ngozi Okoro
Customer Services Advisor
TfL - Streets

Wednesday 3 August 2005 8.23pm
A copy of my reply to the above:

Thank you for your Email of 3.8.05 in which you stated, "as this is a Red route cour coaches are not allowed to park on this street, and that we take non-compliance with The High Way Code by vehicle owners very seriously".

As this is the case then why do I have pictures on file of thousands of Tour Coaches parked at the same point on Tooley Street over the past twelve months. These are just a small fraction of the number which park there at all times of the day which I have managed to observe when at home. If non-compliance with The High Way Code is such a serious issue then why are none of the offending vehicles ever fined?
Monday 8 August 2005 9.43am
Just caught up on ths issue. You aren't alone on this one Paul. It's been a problem on Queen Elizabeth Street too for a long time especially when large coaches wait outside your home with their engines running and when about 50 passengers hang around. I was once photograghed by a coach driver who objected to me complaining!!! I can laugh about that now but it is another unnecessary annoyance..........
Monday 8 August 2005 11.34am
Paul, I sympathise...for nigh on 20 years we have had coaches parking in the london transport bus bays, even english ones dont get tickets...and this is bartholomew street near the school...If in I go and tell them to turn off, or phone the company that owns them, even if they come from Poland, France etc.,!
Monday 8 August 2005 12.22pm
Thank you Jan (old? I prefer 'longer lived') and Colin - I photograph every coach which parks at the end of Weavers Lane and have been physically threatened and verbally abused by a significant number of drivers who know perfectly well that they are parked illegally but know they get away with it. I'm sick to the back teeth of being fobbed off by the various bodies who should deal with this issue but who, as I said in an earlier posting, operate 'a conspiracy of silence'. I emailed South London Press and various other individuals the otgher day, only one reply to date (which I posted an abridged copy of).
Thursday 11 August 2005 4.10pm
Dear Paul

Thank you for your recent email regarding the Tooley Street Red Route however it is unclear what it is exactly that you would like Val to do for you. You mention that you wrote to val on the 26th July enclosing a CD with images of illegally parked coaches however we have not received this. Perhaps you could explain further so that we can inform TfL of your concerns.

Rosie Schulz
Personal Assistant to Val Shawcross
LONDON Assembly Member for Lambeth and Southwark

tel: 020 7983 4401

Thursday 11 August 2005 4.12pm

What I would like Ms Shawcross to do is ask questions in City Hall as to why there is an ever changing view of illegally parked tour coaches at the end of Weavers Lane, none have ever been prosecuted for parking illegally and officials, I quote, "Turn a blind eye", to them. These vehicles block a bus stop and cycle path and in addition pollute the atmosphere as most leave their engines running to power their air-conditioning systems. Transport for London runregualr advertising campaigns warning of the dire consequences of parking on Red Routes - despite illegally parked vehicles being caught on camera by passenger buses who cannot access the bus stop, nothing is done to stop the illegal parking.

I have thousands of images of illegally parked tour coaches, mini-buses (the driver of vehicle EO52OZT told me this afternoon that he wasn't parked - that'll will be why he locked his mini-bus and went for a walk to Potters Fields?) and vehicles transporting visitors to City Hall. Myself and other local residents have written and emailed many groups and individuals involved with the Tooley Street Red Route and still vehicles park illegally.

I hope that answers your question.
Wednesday 17 August 2005 2.16pm

Our ref: CRU/45813
17 August 2005

Red route enforcement - Tooley Street

Thank you for your email of 27 July 2005, regarding the above.

I can confirm that the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), who enforce the red routes on behalf of Transport for London (TfL), have deployed Traffic Wardens to Tooley Street since November 2004. Since this date, we have issued 572 penalty charge notices on Tooley Street including to coaches which are not exempt from parking restrictions.

TfL carries out regular reviews of its enforcement activities and this road will be part of that review. Our aim is to keep the red route free of vehicles parking in contravention of the regulations.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely

Tope Longe
Enforcement Services Manager
Transport Policing and Enforcement Directorate
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 020 7343 5332

Wednesday 17 August 2005 2.17pm

Our ref: CRU/45813
17 August 2005

Red route enforcement - Tooley Street

Thank you for your email of 27 July 2005, regarding the above.

I can confirm that the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), who enforce the red routes on behalf of Transport for London (TfL), have deployed Traffic Wardens to Tooley Street since November 2004. Since this date, we have issued 572 penalty charge notices on Tooley Street including to coaches which are not exempt from parking restrictions.

TfL carries out regular reviews of its enforcement activities and this road will be part of that review. Our aim is to keep the red route free of vehicles parking in contravention of the regulations.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely

Tope Longe
Enforcement Services Manager
Transport Policing and Enforcement Directorate
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 020 7343 5332

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions