London SE1 community website

Tooley Street Red Route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10
Thursday 15 September 2005 3.34pm
Copy of my latest Email to TfL as per Andrew's advice on 18.8.05 (Have been too busy to do this earlier)

With reference to your Email (as below). I would be grateful if you could make available statistics covering how clear Tooley Street is kept of illegally parked vehicles. Are there details of the amount of time Tooley Street as a whole (you may have details on subdivisions of Tooley Street) is kept free from obstruction. If you have details of where on Tooley Street Coaches were issued with Penalty Charge Notices (PCN) and also how many have been ussued over the past six months, I would appreciate this information.

In addition I would like to ask if TfL, in addition to issuing PCN use alternative enforcement methods likely to contribute to Tooley Sreet Red Route being kept free from Tour Coaches parking illegally on the Red Route.

With Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Red route enforcement - Tooley Street
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:49:43 +0100

Red route enforcement - Tooley Street

Thank you for your email of 27 July 2005, regarding the above.

I can confirm that the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), who enforce the red routes on behalf of Transport for London (TfL), have deployed Traffic Wardens to Tooley Street since November 2004. Since this date, we have issued 572 penalty charge notices on Tooley Street including to coaches which are not exempt from parking restrictions.

TfL carries out regular reviews of its enforcement activities and this road will be part of that review. Our aim is to keep the red route free of vehicles parking in contravention of the regulations.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely

Tope Longe
Enforcement Services Manager
Transport Policing and Enforcement Directorate
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 020 7343 5332

Monday 19 September 2005 10.12pm
17:10, I'm coming out of my building and at the end of Weavers Lane there's a queue of Renault Espace's parked, the logo London Fashion Week on the side. They're then joined by an Excalibur tour coach which also has LFW logos visible.

I hot foot it to City Hall and refuse to be fobbed off by Reception, demanding to speak to someone from City Hall. Finally a lady, Dilsad Jarrett who works in Facilities comes down. I explain the issues of Highway Code, Road Traffic Act, Cycle Lane, Bus Stop, Red Route. She obviously doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about and tried to blame the Event Organisers. I point out that City Hall have invited London Fashion Week to City Hall and it should have been made clear to the Organisers that there is no parking available. She keeps getting back to the point about the Event Organisers being to blame - oddly they are keeping their distance as they shepherd their charges into City Hall and up to London's Living Room as Ken called the Function Suite on top of the building.

I demand, on behalf of local residents, that someone at City Hall provides a satisfactory answer as to why Mr Livingstone treats Tooley Street as his personal Car Park (I have many incidences on file where City Hall have held events and the Red Route has been blocked by vehicles associated with the event). I make it clear that the usual reply from TfL will not be acceptable.

Am irate!
Tuesday 20 September 2005 9.10pm
They've now also started flocking to Crucifix Lane, taking up all of the newly restored residents parking all weekend. Ho Hum. I'll start adding my voice to the cries.
Wednesday 21 September 2005 10.34am
When the drivers have offloaded their passengers, why cant they drive down to Mandela Way? I thinks theres a coach park there..if thats full, why cant they park on the street there...no residents to annoy and drive mad...
Wednesday 21 September 2005 9.23pm

A reply to my verbal complaint in City Hall on 19.9.05 (as described above) - somehow I don't think we'll be getting the response we would like.

Re: Your complaint about parking on the red route on Tooley street,
which was taken by our switchboard on 19th September.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. It is important to the GLA
that we listen to and address any dissatisfaction expressed about the
level of service we have provided, or regarding an action or lack of
action by the GLA, or a body or person acting on our behalf.

We are currently investigating your particular concerns and aim to
provide you with a written response within twenty working days.

Full details of how your complaint will be investigated, and possible
courses of action available to you if you remain dissatisfied following
our initial response, are explained in the leaflet 'How was our
Service?' which I have attached.

Yours sincerely,

Alison Turner
Public Liaison Manager

Thursday 22 September 2005 9.31pm
This evening I get home at 21H to find a german tour coach parked at the end of Weavers Lane, no surprises there. However there are two limo's (a driver confirms they're waiting for guests from City Hall)parked half on the pavement, half blocking the cycle path. I go into City Hall and speak with a lady from security, Lisa Burridge. She tells me that insofar as she's aware the issue of visitors to City Hall parking illegally has never been mentioned to security. Lisa is very charming and understands the issues (a human face as opposed to the usual bland 'corporate' types I normally speak to at City Hall. She logged my complaint.
Friday 23 September 2005 2.18pm
Paul,

If these people are parked half on the pavement too, it seems likely that they will damage all that lovely and expensive paving that was laid a couple of years ago with funding from the s.106 agreement between More London and Southwark. It seems to me that if this is the case, it might be worth writing to More London, who are the GLA's landlords, and Southwark, who presumably will have to pay to repair the pavement, to ask them to put pressure on the GLA to stop this kind of thing happening again.

I should try writing to Liam Bond at More London Development Ltd, 3-5 Burlington Gardens, London W1S 3AZ, politely suggesting that the GLA are not doing More London's development or reputation any favours by indulging/encouraging/allowing this sort of parking behaviour, especially when it will damage the paving paid for by More London through their s.106 agreement with Southwark.

In terms of Southwark, since Nick Stanton is your ward councillor as well as Leader of the Council, he would seem the most appropriate person to write to, along the same lines: GLA negligence costing Southwark money to repair the pavements, even if Southwark don't have responsibility for enforcing parking on this road any more.

You might also want to write to the Pool of London Partnership people, since IIRC they also had a hand in the redesign of Tooley Street and might care about these things.

Persuading all of the above to at least write to Ken about this would be good achievement. And just to see if Southwark and the PLP have done so, you could always put in an FOI request to them in a few weeks time, asking for a copy of any correspondence they have had with the GLA. You know, just to keep them on their toes, like....
Friday 23 September 2005 3.58pm
PLP and Nick Stanton have both declined to reply to any of my letters over the past few years. Top Tip on More London though as they are mighty proud of their little corner of London and just so much as need to have a bicycle tied to a lamp post before chaining it (very kind of them with bike theft being so prevalent in the area) even though I have a suspicion that the lamp posts and area surrounding them do not belong to More London although they may have paid for such things through the Section 106 Agreement (does anyone know, for interests sake). As I said in a previous entry on this thread, there is a very loud conspiracy of silence on this matter.
Saturday 24 September 2005 6.04am
Paul,
I don't think there's a conspiracy of silence, just that these public authorities frankly don't give a sh*t about practising effectively what they preach when it comes to red routes, or the annoyance and harm to people's health caused by this illegal parking. But that's just be cynical again. Sorry.
Saturday 24 September 2005 4.15pm
Exactly. As we can all see from the half-hearted replies (on the rare occasions I do get one, most letters and Emails are ignored) I've been getting for five years. Mr Livingstone (The man who plasters Mayor of London over every traffic related issue/poster/advertising/vehicle) is the main subject of my wrath as he refuses to engage with this issue. I have yet to receive any conformation that his office acknowledge the illegal parking on Tooley Street, a significant part of it generated by City Hall.

As I write there are two Tour Coaches parked outside my flat with their engines running.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions