London SE1 community website

Tooley Street Red Route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10
Saturday 24 September 2005 11.14pm
And the politicians, officials, academics and think-tanks wonder and worry about why the public are becoming disengaged from the democratic process....

Couldn't ask for a much better example of why than this saga.

Demos are just up the road in Magdalen House. This sort of problem is exactly what they have been writing about in their recent works. Maybe you could get them to do a case study of this, as an example of poor public and political management and why it leads to cynicism and disengagement.
Monday 26 September 2005 2.53pm
From [email protected]

Thank you contacting us, we appreciate your interest and time taken concerning matters pertaining to the GLA.

Red Routes - we apologise for use of Red Routes. We can assure you on all our information on our booking forms concerning parking, we point out that large sections of this area are red routes around City Hall cannot be used legally for parking inside the designated hours. We also point out that GLA encourages the use of public transport as part of our larger sustainability remit. Plus there is no parking at City Hall building, other than that for disabled users. We give details of public parking in the local area.

London Fashion Week event - Our organiser at GLA had made strenuous efforts to obtain permission for parking in the coach park, and obtained this. We think however the organisers must have misunderstood the instructions and tried to park on the grass of Potters Field. It is unfortunate that the gates were open, we thought this problem had been overcome last year.

We are sorry your resident received an unsatisfactory response from Dilsad Jarrett at reception in City Hall. We will pass on the complaint to her and ask her to re-look at her responses, however all being well, we hope these incidences of illegal parking will not happen again.

We attach the information we send out to our users of City Hall for Parking.

The above reads as though she hasn't read my Email of 19.9.05 - I had no problem with Dilsad Jarrett, she was the channel through which I directed my complaint. I might as well save my breath and the wear and tear on the keyboard.
Monday 26 September 2005 2.58pm
The following was appended to Diane Middleton's Email above.

I demand, on behalf of local residents, that someone at City Hall provides a satisfactory answer as to why Mr Livingstone treats Tooley Street as his personal Car Park (I have many incidences on file where City Hall have held events and the Red Route has been blocked by vehicles associated with the event). I make it clear that the usual reply from TfL will not be acceptable.

Am irate!" (I can let you know who this resident is if you want to talk to them directly).
It seems to me that (a) the GLA should not encourage vehicles to drop people off and park at City Hall if there is no off-street facility to do that. If the off-street facility is via Weavers Lane and is for dropping off only, then City Hall should make that clear on the booking form that all event organisers have to fill out; (b) there should be extra enforcement of parking along Tooley Street in the period 5.00 - 7.00pm.

I guess the bit in red is important!
I am not able to get hold of the persons contact details today, hopefully tomorrow. But it appears that if you follow this link you can reply to him (think his name must be Paul) so you won't need it. http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/38856

It would also be handy if you could drop me back a short note saying for example, City Hall does not encourage illegal parking and specifically asks visitor to arrive by public transport. It would also be good, if as is suggested above, this info could be put on your booking forms the event organisers fill out? I dont know if there is a number of someone you could post up so if this happens again everyone knows who to contact to get it resolved and therefore save similar messages going up in the future? I will then distribute this around the Pool and my local Street Action Team.

many thanks
Philip Murphy
Environment Development Team
Chatelaine House, 186 Walworth Road
SE17 1JJ
Tel: 0207 525 0717
Monday 26 September 2005 3.05pm
A copy of my Email reply to Diane Middleton's Email received today.

Firstly, I was not dissatisfied with Dilsad Jarrett's response, she was the channel through which I made my complaint.

The Red Route of Tooley Street is supposed to be effective 24/7. The sign at the end of Weavers Lane says 'Red Route. No Stopping at Any Time'.

You hope that 'these incidences of illegal parking will not happen again'. They occur every day to a greater or lesser extent. The end of Weavers Lane is regularly used by Coaches, Mini-Buses, People Carriers and Limousines dropping off or collecting visitors from City Hall.

Monday 26 September 2005 3.24pm
Diane Middleton replied promptly to the above and apologised for misunderstanding my comments re Dilsad Jarrrett.

It is clear that her previous Email had been based upon having read my description of events posted on this thread and copied to her by Philip Murphy.

At least City Hall are now aware that we're dissatisfied by Ken's flouting of the Road Traffic Act.The buck has to stop somewhere and if visitors to City Hall 'misinterpret' missives sent out by City Hall then it should be made clear that parking/setting down/picking up on a Red Route is an infringement of the Highway Code. Perhaps in addition City Hall may now wish to address the issue of illegally parked Tour Coaches.
JQL
Tuesday 27 September 2005 9.43pm
Please excuse the off-topic message but I have just noted that the Costcutter opposite the Unicorn Theatre on Tooley Street has applied for a 24 hour alcohol licence which should help the teachers watching early morning plays and create a handy meeting place for the tramps who have been excluded from the post office addiction clique at the Budgen on Borough High Street.
Friday 30 September 2005 1.51pm
Thank you contacting us, we appreciate your interest and time taken concerning
matters pertaining to the GLA.

We can only assume that some visitors to City Hall have been inadvertently using
Red Routes. We can assure you on all our information on our booking forms
concerning parking, we point out that large sections of this area are red routes
around City Hall cannot be used legally for parking inside the designated hours.
We also point out that GLA encourages the use of public transport as part of of
the Mayors policies on the environment . Plus there is no parking at City Hall
building, other than that for disabled users. We give details of public parking
in the local area.

We attach the information we send out to our users of City Hall for Parking.

Kind regards,

Simon Scott
Facilities Coordinator.
Friday 30 September 2005 2.29pm
It's all very well for Simon Scott to give a 'we told 'em not to park there, it's not our fault' response but surely they recognise that people who have events at City Hall might have guests who cheekily usurp the local parking restrictions. If they don't they are living in cloud cuckoo land.
Can Mr Scott give an assurance that when an event is taking place at city hall they have alerted the local traffic wardens so they can eb on hand to catch out anyone who ignores GLA transport recommendations like local legit car parks or public transport?
It is all very well pointing out to events organisers that Tooley St is a red route and there is no stopping along there but chauffeurs/minicab drivers who ferry the guests in can be tricksy types who ignore these regulations. What is the GLA doing to ensure this does not happen?
Saturday 8 October 2005 4.38pm
This afternoon at 17:20 I am watering plants on my window ledge when a Beeline Tour Coach (English Registered) pulls up at the end of Weavers Lane, blocking the bus stop. Two male cyclists stop and point out to the driver that he is blocking the cycle path, bus stop, red route - he gets out of his coach and an animated discussion commences. I lean out of my window and somewhat volubly join in what is now an arm-waving altercation - the driver asserts that he is stopped at a bus stop (where did he get his Criving Licence from?). Faced with a barrage of abuse from me and remonstrations from the cyclists, the Tour Coach drives off.

Over the past few weeks I have witnessed many Tour Coaches parked on the Red Route, I can guarantee none have been prosecuted for this ... but as various bodies (as mentioned previously) have declined to respond to my Emails ...
Monday 10 October 2005 10.01pm
22:40 and truck K40HUG sits on top of the pelican crossing with it's engine idling. Thanks for the illegal parking and pollution. I've taken some lovely pictures but it's pointless becasue aside from my venting my spleen on this Forum, my complaints will be ignored (entries passim).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions