London SE1 community website

Tooley Street Red Route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Wednesday 12 October 2005 6.02pm
There must have been some policing of the coach parking recently as they have taken to parking under the railway bridges at the Crucifix Lane end of Whites Grounds,as I was leaving home last weekend I came bumper to bumper with a huge coach.The driver was reading the paper and was not too happy to move so I could pass,I wanted to stop and take his number plate but he was quite intimidating and I was on my own in the car.Unusually there did not seem to be any company markings on the coach or a phone number,so I don't think I can take it any further on this occaision-very irritating.
Tuesday 18 October 2005 7.41pm
Today I saw on a bus stop, a poster stating that '4 out of 5 buses now carry CCTV'. Does this mean that every vehicle blocking the Red Route/Cycle Path/Bus Stop at the end of Weavers Lane receives a PCN automatically (See Alan Chapman's Thread re Tower Bridge Cameras).

Incidentally, I noted on 25th September my Email to TfL asking them for statistics on Parking Enforcement on Tooley Street. Have I received any kind of response. I wish.
Tuesday 18 October 2005 7.42pm
Today I saw on a bus stop, a poster stating that '4 out of 5 buses now carry CCTV'. Does this mean that every vehicle blocking the Red Route/Cycle Path/Bus Stop at the end of Weavers Lane receives a PCN automatically (See Alan Chapman's Thread re Tower Bridge Cameras).

Incidentally, I noted on 25th September my Email to TfL asking them for statistics on Parking Enforcement on Tooley Street. Have I received any kind of response. I wish.
Tuesday 25 October 2005 3.42pm
As requested Val Shawcross has submitted some questions to Ken Livingstone about this issue. The answers are below. Mostly the same info as previously given, but he does say that "These issues have been drawn to the attention of the Metropolitan Police Service's Traffic Warden Manager for the area, with a request that enforcement on Tooley Street be reviewed." and also some info about Southwark Council being required "to produce a strategy and program for implementation of coach parking in co-operation with TfL".

Regards

Fiona Colley
Researcher for Valerie Shawcross AM
London Assembly Member for Lambeth & Southwark

Illegal Parking on Tooley Street Red Route
Question No: 2004 / 2005
Valerie Shawcross - I have received complaints from residents of Tooley Street about illegal parking on the Tooley Street red route close to Potters Field. The principle complaints are about tour coaches waiting (often with their motors running) for their passengers whilst they visit Tower Bridge and parking by guests attending evening events at City Hall.
Residents have reported that on numerous occasions they have seen TfL traffic wardens turn a blind eye to this illegal parking on the Tooley Street red route.
What enforcement action is being taken to crack down on this illegal parking and what steps are being taken to ensure that guests to City Hall do not park illegally?

Ken Livingstone - Tooley Street is a busy through route taking the additional challenges of high public transport usage and active frontages and a relatively complex arrangement of parking controls. It is accorded a high priority by Metropolitan Police Service Traffic Wardens, being heavily enforced throughout the day with additional visits at other times. In September 2005 for example, 74 Penalty Charge Notices were issued for a range of contraventions at this location.

Tourist coaches are subject to the same controls as all other vehicles (although they are allowed to pick up and set down passengers at bus stops) and are subject to the same level of enforcement. They are not allowed to wait for passengers to arrive.

There are no specific arrangements with respect to visitors to City Hall - although they are encouraged to arrive by public transport - with all motorists being treated in the same way.

These issues have been drawn to the attention of the Metropolitan Police Service's Traffic Warden Manager for the area, with a request that enforcement on Tooley Street be reviewed.

Provision of coach parking space for tour coaches in Tower Bridge area
Question No: 2005 / 2005
Valerie Shawcross - I have received complaints from residents of both Tooley Street and Queen Elizabeth Street, SE1, regarding the illegal and anti-social parking of tour coaches.
Clearly many tour groups wish to visit Tower Bridge and there is insufficient parking/waiting space for the coaches.
What steps is the Mayor taking to resolve this problem?

Ken Livingstone - TfL officers will ensure that particular attention is given to coach facilities in the Tower Hill area. It would be helpful if the Boroughs, like the London Borough of Southwark, considered any opportunity they have to provide parking for tourist coaches, since their occupants bring economic benefits to London. More generally, TfL is working with local authorities on a Coach Concordat, which follows a study carried out by the LDA on Coach Tourism, which was one of the recommendations in my Tourism Strategy. The main aim of this document is to facilitate further improvements in coach parking and driver facilities in London by working in partnership with local authorities, building on the work already achieved by the London Coach Forum, which is facilitated by TfL.

In recognising that kerb space in London is limited and that parking at some key tourist locations is at capacity, TfL is working with local authorities to make better use of existing facilities and where possible, share it with other modes. The Local Implementation Plan also has specific guidelines where boroughs must include a commitment to produce a strategy and program for implementation of coach parking in co-operation with TfL.

TfL is working with the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT), the industry body, to address this issue by promoting existing coach parking facilities in the Capital. A London Coach Parking map is produced jointly with the CPT on an annual basis, which is distributed to coach operators and tourist bodies. TfL also contribute to the production and distribution of the ‘Guidance For Operating Coaches in London' leaflet which contains simple and brief instructions to coach drivers. Amongst others, it highlights the importance of switching off their engines whilst parked. This leaflet is sent out to all CPT members and extensively distributed at major tourist locations in Central London.

Tuesday 25 October 2005 7.32pm
Perhaps Ms Shawcross might like to ask Mr Livingstone why I have received no response on these issues from Transport for London.
Tuesday 25 October 2005 8.21pm
In addition, Ms Shawcross might also like to ask Mr Livingstone why people carrier KH05OYR was parked illegally at the end of Weavers Lane for minimum 30 mins this evening, finally departing at 21:10 with a group of individuals who came from the direction of City Hall.
Also, coach BX54ECJ (Epsom Coaches) which was parked illegally for an extended period of time, had this any connection to City Hall.
If the Metropolitan Police use cameras for traffic enforcement on Tower Bridge then why are they not used on Tooley Street?
Tuesday 25 October 2005 9.42pm
These answers still show a fixation with success being judged by the numbers of enforcement notices served. Enforcement notices do not mean clear streets, they mean costs to be borne by coach operators and passed on to their passengers in the hiring charge or ticket price. Quite apart from it being offensive to mention the economic benefits of the coaches without mentioning the health and quality of life dis-benefits for local residents, it is also daft to try and pass the buck to Southwark like this. A follow up question from Val might be to ask what steps TfL have taken to identify possible coach parking places within 3 minutes walk from Potters Fields Park. Much further than that and the tourists and City Hall visitors will ignore the place and continue to park illegally.

Years ago the TST&RA proposed that Southwark put up multilingual road signs just by Weaver's Lane telling drivers there was no parking there. But to be honest, I don't think they have a comprehension problem - they're simply not feeling the arm of the law on their collars firmly enough. A three month period of having a coach-towing lorry on hand, to take the illegally parked vehicles down to Mandela Way, would be a useful experiment. This might not be the best time of year to do it though - maybe next summer would give TfL enough time to plan this and get the budget. I'm sure it would encourager les autres...

Thursday 27 October 2005 8.02pm
Ten minutes ago I stopped outside The Hilton on Tooley Street to speak with a group of c.50 ... who had been at City Hall for a European Churches meeting on Migrants (insofar as I understood) and were waiting for their coach ... on the Red Route. Obviously City Hall is not being particularly clear in its instructions to visitors.
Monday 7 November 2005 4.22pm
Our ref: SM002112/8/9
Date: 05 September 2005

Dear Mr Jorgensen,

Red Route Enforcement in Tooley Street

Thank you for your e-mail of 19 August 2005. I apologise for the delay in my reply. I reply was sent out to you on 5 September 2005, but unfortunately you did not receive it, I apologise for this.

I am sorry that you feel the enforcement in Tooley Street is not tackling the issue of illegal parking.

Your query was investigated at management level within our Enforcement Division and I am now able to advise you of the following:

This area has been the subject of significant attention and additional resources have been deployed in the area this year. To date 568 penalty charge notices have been issued by Transport for London (TfL) to motorists observed contravening the red route parking regulation. This represents a significant increase in our enforcement activities, one that I hope you will agree, demonstrates our commitment to parking enforcement issues in the Tooley Street area.

I understand that you feel concerned that coach drivers park on the red route to allow passengers to board, however there is a bus stand near to the junction with Weavers Lane which allows coaches to set down and pick up it's passengers. As mentioned in our previous response, our on-street staff have been asked to pay particular attention to this location.

I hope that this information will help to clear up any misunderstandings.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write to us. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Nike Amusan
Customer Services Advisor
Streets

Monday 7 November 2005 7.53pm
Again with the penalty notice fixation. Paul, I think you need to take the issue of how TfL measure their effectiveness in keeping red routes clear further up the management chain, and also raise the issue with the Transport Committee of the GLA. It's quite simple really: if tour companies absorb the cost of the penalty notice as a business expense which they pass on to their passengers, the notices have zero deterrent effect. Until they tow coaches away, or alternatively, start adding points to the licenses of persistently offending coach drivers, they can issue notices until they are blue in the face, but nothing will change. Since this not what the policy underlying red routes intends, senior management at TfL must review the methods they use to achieve their policy goals.

[/public management speak - been doing this Masters for too long now]
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions