London SE1 community website

New cameras on Tooley Street?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 2 August 2005 6.55pm
Not at all discrete, I agree. as per the thread I began about Tour Coaches parking illegally in Tooley Street, I think it can be guaranteed that the cameras will not be used to monitor chauffeur driven vehicles sitting on Tooley Street beside More London Bridge.
Thursday 4 August 2005 9.25am
Just received this email from Southwark this morning!

"This e-mail has been sent to help clarify the situation with the new camera gantry on Tooley Street, SE1.

This pilot will last for a minimum of 6 months, but has the possibility of being extended up to a maximum of 9 months.

The Tooley Street gantry currently has 2 types of equipment on (cameras and speakers), which are being tested to assess which is most suitable for future road charging. It is hoped that in 2 months time the type that is performing best will remain while the other will be removed.

So to recap; in two months time half of the equipment on the Tooley Street gantry will be removed, and the pilot will end, at the very latest, in 9 months time."

Heaven knows why they want speakers!
Thursday 4 August 2005 7.06pm
Maybe their planning on shouting out at drivers as they go past to remind them to pay the charge?
Friday 5 August 2005 8.29am
It's a pilot scheme for the congestion charge, to make it easier for people to pay.
it's currently used across Europe and on the M6 toll road.

it uses a disc in the windscreen, and it is apparently more accurate than the normal cameras which so I'm led to believe only pick up 70% of the traffic.

There are 100 cars travelling the streets, with these discs in them for this trial period.
Monday 8 August 2005 7.02am
I walked by these cameras on Saturay morning. The appearance of this setup is quite grotesque and an absolute blot on the landcape. I personally do not wish to have boooms like this appearing throughout London just to control traffic!
Also please could someone explain what use the loudspeakers will have. The mind boogles!
Monday 8 August 2005 10.11am
Clear Tooley Street Immediately
Thursday 18 August 2005 4.57am
Alan,

I don't know about the loudspeakers, but according to this article in The Independent there are plenty of other uses the government has in mind for these cameras.

Still, not yet got to this state in Potters Field Park, or have we?

Cheers,

Andrew

P.S. Credit to Banksy for the image.
Thursday 18 August 2005 2.57pm
Just seen the two threads about the cameras (and since one is right by City Hall I'll go and see for myself later).

I've emailed our contacts at TfL to see if we can get some info about what these things are for and how they managed to get erected with no consultation (see below). Will post again when we get a reply (please note that with TfL sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes it takes weeks).

Fiona Colley
Researcher for Val Shawcross
GLA Member for Lambeth & Southwark
LONDONASSEMBLYLABOUR

The Greater London Authority
City Hall
Queen's Walk
London
SE1 2AA

Tel: 020 7983 4097
Fax: 020 7983 4418
Thursday 18 August 2005 11.45pm
Fiona,

I'd just like to say 'thank you' for participating in the discussion. It is a good sign that democracy might be working after all, when people working for our elected representatives take part in the debate, rather than just lurking. Keep it up!

Andrew
Friday 19 August 2005 1.13pm
I work in an office looking down on Tooley Street
There are big gas guzzling luxury cars each with a white triangle on the roof

driving round and round - I assume that they are 'test data' for the spyware

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions