London SE1 community website

Three Jolly Gardeners, Union Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 22 June 2012 4.12pm
My Great Great Grandparents (Edward & Annie Louisa Shepperd)ran this pub from around 1900 to 1921.

My Great Grandad Percy Shepperd then married Grace Hann who was the girl next door.

Does anyone have any pictures of the pre war pub as I would love to see what it looked like.
Saturday 11 August 2012 12.59pm
It appears Henry VIII was on the opposite corner to the Jolly Gardeners - where Alan Camp Architects are now. 88 Union Street. See http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/SouthwarkStSaviour/KingHenryVIII.shtml and for the Three Jolly Gardeners see http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/SouthwarkStSaviour/ThreeJollyGardners.shtml.

It appears that after the bombing, the Three Gardeners was rebuilt but the houses next to it were not and were used as hard standing. See http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-457-1/dissemination/pdf/vol11/vol11_06/11_06_157_162.pdf where they dug up the site before the 2002 development. It says "The foundations recorded at 97101 were typically 18th-century, and the houses above survived until the Second World War. The public house at 103 Union Street, on the corner of Great Guildford Street, was rebuilt, whilst the houses were not."

CAMRA records the pub as shutting in 2001/2 - "SE1, THREE JOLLY GARDENERS, ex-Truman, demolished January 2002."

Hope this helps
Sunday 30 November 2014 2.41pm
I know this is a couple of years old now but you might like to know that when the pub was rebuilt we moved into it. The licencee was my grandfather, Francis McCarthy. His family came from Peabody Buildings and we stayed in the pub until approx 1970. Next to the pub was not a hard standing but a bomb site where as children we played and built our bonfire for Nov 5th on! The Tyre place at the time was a garage which was owned by Stirling Moss and on the other corner was another bombsite where I assume there had been another pub as mentioned above. Hope the above is of some interest and help to somebody.
Tuesday 5 February 2019 6.46pm
Hi I know I am very late to this thread but I spent today with my mum, Jacquie, nee Potter who lived with her mum Ivy and dad Stan over the grocer's shop they ran at 84 Union Street, which was on the corner with Guildford Street, I presume next to the Henry VIII pub which she only vaguely remembers. She still has very clear memories of the night of 19.6.1944 when her dad was killed by the V1, we believe in the pub with his friend, Edwin Hazel. The shop was totally destroyed. Ivy Potter set up another shop after the war with Ivy ?Hazell at 108 Great Guildford Street. It was very interesting to read to her the memories on this thread.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions