London SE1 community website

Three Jolly Gardeners, Union Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 19 September 2006 6.28pm
Hi, no my uncle's name was Sidney Kemp, but maybe they knew each other.

Regards Pauline.
Tuesday 19 September 2006 7.56pm
Hi, I am sure they did, at least they were drinking together. My uncle lived at 1 Farnham House, Union Street. and I see from the CWGC that yours lived at 17 Trelawney House, Union Street.

For your interest, I have attached a response that I got from the Local History Library, Because I live too far away I have not been able to take enquiries further.
However you may be able to make use of the information.

Regards David

From Southwark local studies.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Ten years ago, a local researcher, John Hook, re-arranged the civilian war dead list into a chronological list. Under June 19th, there is a very considerable list of people who were killed in Union Street, presumably by one of the early V1s. At the foot of that long list, five people are separately listed as being killed in the King Henry VIII Public House in Union Street, and a further three at the Jolly Gardeners Public House in Union Street. To try to get additional details, you would be recommended to undertake research in this library in the street index to air raids (Southwark Archives 5686), the incident message forms (Southwark Archives 5676-5684), plus perhaps the newspapers of the time, although air raids were not normally reported directly. The library also has detailed, large-scale Ordnance Survey maps, some old photographs of Union Street, rate books and directories. All these sources would be freely available for your research. Given that the incident is still within living memory, it might also be useful to appeal for information through the present local newspapers.

Yours Sincerely,
Stephen Humphrey,
Archivist.

Local History Library,
211, Borough High Street,
London,
SE1 1JA,
U.K.
020 7403 3507
[email protected]
Tuesday 19 September 2006 9.30pm
Hi, thanks very much for that, my family and I (that is my uncle's nieces and nephews) will look into this - should be very useful. We might even somehow be able to locate his two children, who after the war my mother and her immediate family lost contact with.

Regards, Pauline.
Wednesday 10 January 2007 9.55pm
hydrometer wrote:
The Three Jolly Gardeners was in Union Street but was demolished I suppose in the last five years or so. There is a block of flats on the site now, I believe is called Ciba Apartments or something like that. Will find out for definate and post it later.
I dont know the other pub the King Henry VIII.

Just seen this post, interesting stuff. I was talking to someone a few months ago, who has lived his life in Union Street and he was saying something about a pub that used to exist on Union Street, somewhere around where the car parks are/tyre place now. So on the opp side to CIBA - maybe that's the King Henry VIII. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.
Friday 12 January 2007 9.46am
The Jolly Gardeners Pub used to be on the site of what is now Henley Apartments and Ciba Apartments - on the corner of Union Street and Great Guildford Street. When the developers bought it in around 1999, I think the pub had already been demolished and the site was just an open space or car park with a couple of trees. However, my father-in-law remembers the pub as being there in the 80s so not sure how long it lasted.

I don't know where the King Henry VIII pub was. I don't think it was on the site of the tyre depot opposite is as that has had some sort of connection with cars for quite a long time and was a car showroom owned by Stirling Moss back in the 60s!
Monday 15 January 2007 8.48am
The Three Jolly Gardeners was open in 1998 - 1999 when I lived just around the cornder in Copperfield Street. It was a bit rough, we only went in once.
Friday 2 May 2008 7.53pm
Hi i came across this thread when i was looking for info into the bombing of Farnham House.

I am doing my family tree and my partner's great grandmother and her daughter were killed in the V1 bomb that hit that area in June 1944. As i work near to London Bridge i went along to the Local history museum in Borough High Street where i obtained the full entry of their deaths.

Would like to know if anyone knew them. They lived at 7 FARNHAM HOUSE, UNION STREET.
Their names were

Patricia maureen HUTCHINSON aged 8
Lily Maud HUTCHINSON aged 48 She was married to Thomas Edward HUTCHINSON
Wednesday 22 April 2009 8.58am
Just posted a reply re Three Jolly Gardeners on Chatter. New to this site and not sure how to reply!
Just to say that my parents Mr and Mrs E Hazel ran this pub - the original that is, before and during the second world war and I was in said pub when it was bommed in the 1940's. Any help with info I can give in your search I will, but remember I was only 5 at the time. Still have a few momento's such as embossed cutlery gathered from the ruins by my mother.
Brenda
Wednesday 22 April 2009 8.41am
Have just found this site on the internet while browsing for the Three Jolly Gardeners PH, which the original was bommed in the second world war during the 1940's. Would like to inform the person searching for info re this PH, a couple of years ago, that I was actually in said pub while it was bommed! My parents Mr and Mrs E Hazel we the licensee's at the time. If that person inquiring info is still interested I will add any info I can - Being only 5 at the time!
Thursday 21 June 2012 4.45pm
Just came across this via the Union Press thread. According to map from the late 19th Century (as I recall - I've only seen it once), there was a pub on the corner of Union Street and Ewer Street, along with a continuation of the terraces which still eastwards run from the Charles Dickens pub. Might that have been the King Henry VIII?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions