London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 18 of 20
Wednesday 8 August 2012 4.15pm
It would be wonderful if they had an opening tour before opening officially! So pleased it's still there.
Wednesday 8 August 2012 4.19pm
Great news!`
Wednesday 8 August 2012 10.01pm
This is good -- should bring some nice 24/7 footfall to a rather desolate area at present.

I would love to see the motor vehicle repair/oil change and brown-brick warehouses removed and replaced with flats and/or shops on both sides of the road in the future -- anything with ground-level retail that faces the street.

Maybe, ultimately, get rid of the gas station, too.
Saturday 25 August 2012 12.10pm
I just had a look around in the new Driscoll House, thanks to a chap called Zahar who seems to be in charge. It's like one of the big modern hostels I have stayed in in Scandinavia, and looks very nice.

They have kept some quirky touches of the old Driscoll House decor, for example the lovely old red and pale green tiles, and I noticed one of the old TV rooms (now a self-service restaurant) still has the "BBC2" sign on the door. Driscoll had different rooms for different TV channels.

It's a soft launch, still a work in progress, and no bar or restaurant open yet, and not many guests. Singles are 40 a night, doubles 50, and there are also dorm style rooms. Some have ensuite.

I put in a word for meeting or function rooms that locals could use or hire, and Zahar said it's a good idea.

The website spells accommodation with only one m, but I will let that go.

http://www.restup.co.uk/

I have updated the Wikipedia page accordingly!
Zoe
Saturday 25 August 2012 1.48pm
Well impressed you also updated the wiki page as well!
Saturday 25 August 2012 3.02pm
Oh Well Done Andrew H...good thinking about the hiring out of rooms for meetings etc.
Sunday 26 August 2012 3.45pm
Next year will be the centenery of the building. It opened as a women's hostel called Ada Lewis House in 1913. I hope something is planned to mark the centenary.
Sunday 26 August 2012 5.16pm
Andrew H wrote:
Next year will be the centenery of the building. It opened as a women's hostel called Ada Lewis House in 1913. I hope something is planned to mark the centenary.

The lowdown on Ada Lewis House can be found on the English Heritage page here.
Sunday 26 August 2012 8.03pm
That was very informative; I know Mr. Driscoll took great pride in providing housing to elderly females and international students, later international visitors to London. He also provided a great breakfast and dinner; I remember dinner was served at 5.30 pm promptly and there was always a line of people waiting! Thank you for the link Merlin Rouge.
Monday 27 August 2012 7.08am
Terrific update Andrew, thanks. And I'm going to pop down and have a shufty asap.
Current: 18 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions