London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 20
Sunday 9 July 2006 11.13am
It's quite easy to get 26 rooms with Travelodge (have a dig around their website). The week before Christmas we put some relatives in the Farringdon one. The number 63 stops right outside, so it's a quick and simple journey down to the Elephant. Rooms were slightly dated looking but comfortable, clean and well maintained. The people who stayed there were very satisfied. Certainly couldn't grumble at a triple room for 4 nights for a touch over 100 in a week when all other hotels seemed to be inflating their prices!
Monday 10 July 2006 8.47am
yes but places like travelodge, you pay for all your meals on top of the 26 price.
ADT
Monday 10 July 2006 9.05am
and they have no character
Monday 10 July 2006 9.38am
Well,Im off down to Driscoll House to have a shufty...will report.
Tuesday 11 July 2006 7.34am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Well,Im off down to Driscoll House to have a shufty...will report.

So what did you find??
Monday 17 July 2006 1.41pm
I wrote to the council protesting aginst the demolition and after intially being advised that permission was refused was subsequently advised that an appeal had been lodged.
Please can anyone advise what the current position is re proposed redevelopment?
Tuesday 2 January 2007 5.14pm
Hi Jan

It used to be called The Ada Lewis House for Young Women. I was inside as a child as my sister stayed there, it was beautiful with a lot of wooden panelling and the main communal lounge looked out on the New Kent Road.

Vonnie
Tuesday 2 January 2007 5.44pm
Hi Jan

I used to work in the Bricklayers Arms on corner of TowerBridge Rd & Old Kent Rd in the early 60s I was only 17 (underage)and the managers were Stan and Lil his wife.

Vonnie
Wednesday 3 January 2007 9.12am
Hi Vonnie,

got your pm.will write later...jan x
TAK
Wednesday 3 January 2007 12.55pm
Has a tour of the building happened yet? Let me know if anyone is making arrangements - I would love to come too!
Current: 10 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions