London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 20
Wednesday 3 January 2007 3.03pm
It was me who suggested it, but Mr Driscoll is not at all keen. I had sort of forgotten about it, but I will talk to him again and see if I can progress this idea.
Saturday 28 April 2007 10.09am
Dear All,

Could you please give me info about the hotel? Is it still running or closed down? I spent there two beautiful summers when I was younger, I've just liked the atmosphere there! I remember we played cards down in the laundry, it was a great fun.
I would like to visit London this summer and I thought about Driscoll House to stay, but I am not sure if they are open.
Please try to avoid somehow that it would be demolished! I would really sorry it!!

Take care
a guy from Hungary
Saturday 28 April 2007 10.30am
Yes, it is open, although not in great shape these days. I live across the street from Driscoll House, and last year I visited and took some photos (without permission). The photos and more information are on the Wikipedia page about Driscoll House -- there is a link to it further back in this thread.
Sunday 29 April 2007 3.54am
I spent a week there in August 2006 and it's still good value to stay there even though its not luxurious like a hotel (no elevator, no private baths, small rooms), and the atmosphere that there was years ago has somehow gone. But at 150 per week with breakfast and dinner on weekdays, and lunch as well included on weekends, with a 20-25 minute tube ride to Piccadilly Circus you can't beat it's price for a stay in London. I don't understand why many more people do not stay there.
Sunday 29 April 2007 5.00pm
I forgot to mention, on the morning of the day I was leaving I stopped at the reception to ask what time was check-out time and the lady there said, "We don't have rules like that. You can leave whenever it's convenient for you." It was a Saturday when lunch is provided. I had lunch at 1.00 p.m. relaxed a little, had a shower and then left at 4.30 p.m. without a problem - very convenient as my train leaving London was not till 6.30 p.m. If I was staying in a hotel I would have had to checkout by 12.00 noon then find something to do (with my luggage in my hand) until 6.30 p.m.
Tuesday 19 June 2007 9.51pm
I don't think anyone has posted a link to these visuals of the currenlty proposed redevelopment, now appearing on Hamiltons (the architects)' website:

Driscoll House
Wednesday 20 June 2007 1.05pm
It does not look as bad as the other at first glance..only 61 flats?
Tuesday 3 July 2007 6.40am
I have just read that Mr Driscoll has died, apart from feeling sorry for his family, I wonder what will happen now to Driscoll House. Will the plans still go ahead I wonder...
Tuesday 3 July 2007 7.44am
What a shame. End of an era.
Tuesday 3 July 2007 12.24pm
You're absolutely right, it is an end of an era. Where did you hear of this sad news, do you have a link? Rest in peace Mr. Driscoll; if it wasn't for Driscoll House I wouldn't have been able to afford to visit London as many times as I did.
Current: 11 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions