London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 20
Tuesday 3 July 2007 12.53pm
it was in our local paper, i think the service is at southwark cathedral, but will check...
Tuesday 3 July 2007 1.19pm
Yes, just found the announcement in the Southwark News - funeral 11am Wednesday Southwark Cathedral.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 3 July 2007 1.42pm
Thank you so much for your quick responses...now I wonder when it will be closed for renovations. I'm glad I stopped in at Driscoll House on my last visit to London. I just tried to look up the Driscoll House website to see if there is an announcement but it appears to to shut down.
Thursday 5 July 2007 10.19am
This is sad news to me, both the fact of Mr Driscoll's death and the prospect of Driscoll House being closed down. I hope his daughter Ann keeps Driscoll House open. This was Mr Driscoll's legacy to visitors to London from all over the world. I recall some good times here and it was always the least expensive place in London.
Sunday 4 November 2007 10.35pm
Dear All,

Since I live quite far from London could you please keep me undated what the situation is about the Hotel? Is it still running? Or have they closed it down?
Sunday 4 November 2007 10.38pm
I'm afraid to say it's closed - Terry Driscoll died in June, and Driscoll House closed the weekend after his funeral.
Monday 5 November 2007 9.29am
I think it closed at somewhat indecent speed..old Mr Driscoll would have had a fit!
Monday 5 November 2007 1.45pm
Yes Jan, I have to agree with you on that. But I have a feeling that's the way he wanted it. He might have been pushing close to 100 but he was sharp when it came to financial matters. One time while staying there I was told by one of the residents that he not did he own the building where his daughter lived (the building to the right of Driscoll House) but he also owned lots of real estate in the Southwark area. So maybe just Driscoll House was sold and the rest kept in the family. After all, one million pounds for one building is nothing to sneeze at... at least that's what we say here in the states! I was just in London last month but I had no desire to revisit the building; too many memories.
Thursday 15 November 2007 7.03pm
the houses described as georgian on old kent road look suspicously like the one on the corner of new kent road and balfour street..perhaps it's All a mistake after all! and i'll wake up and it's the elephant/new kent road/bricklayers libray of me youff!
Current: 12 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions