London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 20
Tuesday 9 June 2009 10.00am
Paul, your photos are absolutely stunning - I followed the links to your various sites but have not yet had time to look at them all. Suggestions for others in the 'abandoned section' - not strictly SE1 but the Beaufoy Institute in Black Prince Road - I would love to see the inside of that. Are you documenting anything on the inside of flats in the Heygate/E&C generally before it is all demolished?
Saturday 11 July 2009 11.27pm
beverly - not sure if you meant my photos (thank you if you did), but here's the set in case others would like a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulholmes/sets/72157602224482627/
Sunday 12 July 2009 4.54pm
Tuesday 14 July 2009 1.17am
Paul thanks for those photographs. I live in Trinidad and for a number of years I visited London every two or three years and stayed at Driscoll House and although I had a camera which I used to photograph the sights of London, I regrettably never bothered to photograph the inside of Driscoll House.
Tuesday 19 January 2010 4.57pm
everybody,

i am a student of the university of the arts and am planning on doing a project on the "driscoll house"..
i visited the premises today and found myself infront of locked doors and a rather run down house. i did find some beautiful pictures here in this forum but what i would need would be interviews with people who have memories of staying there, who maybe have even worked there or who had some kind of a relationship with the place or even mr. driscoll (or his daughter).. any information would help me at this point..

thank you very much,

a.z.
Tuesday 19 January 2010 5.41pm
I thought Driscoll House was bought and turned into flats...are you reporting that it still stands empty?
Tuesday 19 January 2010 6.23pm
hi,
yeah, it stands empty and doesn't look to good
if i may say so. the building is quite new to
me but with what i have seen on pictures it's a real
pity that it is just left to collapse..
Tuesday 19 January 2010 11.48pm
It's very sad indeed that this building is empty. I know someone who worked there as a cook many years ago - I don't see her very often though. I will ask her about her time there next time I see her.

Driscoll House was always advertised in the South London Press, and in the Catholic papers. there used to be statues of saints visible in the windows.
Wednesday 20 January 2010 8.37am
Was it about 27 pounds a night Auntie Pat?
Arztim Mr Driscoll died last year, I think he was in his nineties.

My sister stayed there in the 50/60s when it was Ada Lewis Womens Hostel for respectable working women!
Not quite sure what is happening to the building now, various plans were submitted I hope it can not be torn down as it adds a bit of history and character to New Kent Road.
Wednesday 20 January 2010 11.10pm
hi auntie pat,

thank you so much for your reply ! it would be lovely
to get in touch with your acquaintance and possible
make an interview for my arts project !!

yes, i saw some saints on the outside of the building
and on picyures from the inside as well.

thank you very much..

a.z.
Current: 14 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions