London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 20
Wednesday 20 January 2010 11.15pm
jan the old one,

yes i found out mr. driscoll died in 2007. he really seems
to have been an institution in the society.
i also saw some plans of restructuring the building, but
right now it seems to be left to fall apart unfortunately..

a.z.
Thursday 21 January 2010 9.40am
I posted the following in 2005... (see page 4 of this thread)

A neighbour and I have just spent a fascinating afternoon at the London Metropolitan Archives in Northampton Road, EC1R 0HB researching the history of Driscoll House (originally Ada Lewis House). We saw the original plans and photographs - the building has hardly changed in over 90 years. Also there were planning applications, invitations to the opening (Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll opened it in 1913) and press cuttings. The original specifications and tenders for the building prove that the fabric of the building is of very high quality and should be saved. Virtually all of the original interiors survive intact.

Mr Driscoll's daughter, Anne, passed away in 2008.
Thursday 21 January 2010 12.44pm
dear stephen.h,

thank you for that information and thanks everybody
again for being so helpful !! i plan on going to
the archives myself the next days.
sorry to hear about anne driscoll of course...

let me just say that i think it's wonderful to find
so many people who have an interest in obtaining the
the building and the spirit of the institution "driscoll"/
"driscoll house".

best/aram
Thursday 21 January 2010 4.40pm
I talked my way in not long before it closed (luckily old Driscoll wans't on the door at that moment), and snapped a few quick photos. I added them to the Wikipedia page about Driscoll House, but some busybody keeps deleting them saying I don't own the copyright.
Friday 22 January 2010 2.36am
to Andrew H,

do you think i might have a chance to get those pictures
you are talking about?
i am really thankful for any research material i can get..
Monday 22 February 2010 9.12am
Hi

I used to know Anne Driscoll many years ago, do you know what happened to her? she appears to have died soon after her father
Friday 27 August 2010 3.17pm
Anne Driscoll and Mr Driscoll as a young woman took me in when I was on my rivets they never looked down their nose at me when everyone else was, people dont realise just what a kind considerate and strong man he was his kitchen was CLEAN Im a cleaner I know what Im talking about I ate there for nearly three years walking in and out of the kitchens reguarly and I mean reguarly I worked in a microbiology lab in kettering general hospital I know what is unclean and what is not ok and those kitchens were spotless he was ordering fresh food every day my mother can vouch whatever politcal reasons about why they shut this place down is what shoud be analysised I worked for Response cleaning so its bollocks about the cleanliness
Sunday 5 September 2010 4.29am
Is anyone familiar with Anne Driscoll's husband, Darwin Klein?
Thursday 9 September 2010 11.26pm
Yes we are, any reason for asking?
Current: 15 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions