London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 19 of 20
Wednesday 26 September 2012 12.01pm
One major problem that has affected Bartholomew street in the past in Coaches that park up during the day on the yellow lines, at least they leave normally by 6pm.

Now last night there was 3 parked outside all night long from Belgium/germany etc. which was unusual, then this morning I heard one coach rev. up and timed it, from 8am until 8.32 looked out to see hoards of young people boarding presumably from Driscoll House, if this going to be a permanent fixture what action can I take?
Wednesday 26 September 2012 5.55pm
In for another night of coaches I fear, I phoned Restup/driscoll house on the pretext of booking a room for some friends asking prices etc., he sounded very vague, I asked if there was parking available and he said no, I told him my friends had a car where could they park as an someone (me!) had no knowledge of the area, he suggested Frenchman Road nearby (lol) or just park any where there is another local Road nearby but he could not remember it!

If this continues I will definitely be contacting my local cllr. It's one thing all day to have various vehicles outside, but to have the small street as a glorified doss house for sleepovers with coaches waiting to pick up / drop off passengers during the day and kipping in the coach all night is not right.

How can so many vehicles be allowed to park unhindered for 24 hours a day on a yellow line is beyond me..
Friday 5 October 2012 2.30pm
Aha, this makes sense of last weeks salmoning through the underpass to work. I'd be willing to pass it off as a single occurrence, considering the trucks rolling daily out of the school build, but it'll be a headache if they're there every day.

Would be a strange oversight if Southwark approved the hostel-style accommodation without provision for the coaches. Know from experience what Russell Square can be like at kicking out time.
Monday 15 October 2012 8.17am
Since last night there has been two european coaches parked outside my house..since about 7pm....still there and I wonder why my daughter parks outside at 6pm and gets a ticket! why is there no signs up about overnight parking?
Tuesday 16 October 2012 7.56am
Just phone one of the offending coach companies in the Nederlands, asked if she spoke English as I was phoning from London and she put the phone down...if any kind soul here speaks the lingo, here is the number! 0031 118 43 44 33!
Tuesday 16 October 2012 10.06am
Jan the old one wrote:
Just phone one of the offending coach companies in the Nederlands, asked if she spoke English as I was phoning from London and she put the phone down...if any kind soul here speaks the lingo, here is the number! 0031 118 43 44 33!

Jan, have you tried speak to the hotel about this? Or the local counsellor?
Tuesday 16 October 2012 11.17am
Pops this morning I felt I was on a merry-go-round! Starting with the Council switchboard, explained the problem to an operator about the foreign coaches...she told me to ring the DLVA! I re-iterated the fact that they were from the Nederlands, she then passed me to a gent. who knew what he was talking about ( John Napier) he can be contacted on 0800 1389081 the parking services or as I did via the switchboard. He then gave me 0207 394 3334, the parking enforcement team, explained the problem he then referred the call to his boss Ibraham. But to be fair within half an hour chap in red vestie thing arrived and went to the drivers who may or may not have been told of one of the phone calls I made to Van Fraassen and returned to their vehicle!

They told him that they would be there another 3 days!!
I told red vest that if they were there tonight I would go out with a sledge hammer and smash the bloody windows, plus where they were parked was almost on red route and causing drivers entering bartholomew street from New Kent Road to suddenly veer to the left barely missing resident bay cars.

After much smirking they left, the polite note I had left under the windscreen wipers saying if they did not move their coaches I would let the tyres down was thrown in the road!

As I am typing this another 2 coaches arrive making 6 in our tiny street, at least with the English ones they go home at night and they are not parked within 1 foot of red route lines, plus no engines are on!

Why has Southwark Council no recovery vehicles for large vehicles? and can we not penalise coaches from Europe with heavy fines...

Pops I did phone the Restup, but the guy who answered did not speak much English a few weeks back..or today i should imagine! The parking enforcement man told them where they could park and that was when they told him they would be there for 3 days! We may need extra cash from people visiting here, but not at the expense of long suffering residents...at this moment I am cogitating...what to do next...spray paint them bloody things! lol
Tuesday 16 October 2012 12.10pm
Sounds awful, I would keep on at SC, parking over night is not acceptable when residents have to pay to park anywhere in the borough
Friday 19 October 2012 8.27am
Just in case anyone thinks I am exagerating about the problem in our little street, look in the south london press,letter page and see the problem ..with coaches lining both sides of the street barely enough room for any vehicle to pass.
Saturday 20 October 2012 8.34am
Jan

Is it single yellows they are parking on? If so, there's not much that can be enforced outside of the controlled zone hours, ie 830-1830. Perhaps it's worthwhile petitioning the council to break up the stretch of singe yellow with either a residents space or some double yellow. That way, it could still be available for smaller vehicles. This should have been considered by the hostel; did they have to get planning?
Current: 19 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions