London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 20
Sal
Thursday 22 September 2005 1.15pm
Look's like us taxer payer's will be paying for another redevelopment for the imigrants to live in then.

Jan the old one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have just looked at a web site for Ujima Housing
> and followed one link which described them as
> receiving 45.414 Million in the next two years
> for housing in London...397 homes to be built in
> total, being one dumb clock I can't calculate the
> cost of each home!
>
> The Ujima housing only rehouse the black and
> ethnic minority communities, I am always puzzled
> as to how in this day and age of
> anti-discrimination they can get away with it,
> surely it just creates ghettos? even one that cost
> 45.414 million!
>
> That issue aside I hope as many people as possible
> attend this meeting to make their feelings known.
> It is a lovely buiilding and should remain as it
> is, I can't for the life of me remember what it
> used to be called when it accomodated ladies
> only..
>

Thursday 22 September 2005 1.34pm
Just thought of the name...Ada Lewis.....was a residence for respectable working girls.....
Thursday 22 September 2005 8.39pm
Emmesse Wrote:

> ...According to the book, it has 200 rooms, 8 pianos
> and "during the past 80 years, 50,000 guests have
> stayed from 210 different countries."...

...erm isn't that around 12 people per week!...
and they would have 200 rooms between them!
not to mention a fair turn at the piano each...

Hmm!
Friday 23 September 2005 8.24am
DeeDee the meeting is at Crossways United Reform Church, New Kent Road ( the actual address on notice is Deacon Way, it's probably the same) It's between 6pm-9pm. Tuesday 27th September.

Just looked on 'net to see who Oracle Homes were as they were also mentioned on notice, they are builders who...' build quality is legendary: It is driven by aesthetic and innovative considerations - not by an obessive pursuit of profit'.... We'll see!

If the application is successful I feel sorry for the people who live alongside or behind Driscoll house. Where would the access for lorries be when demolition takes place?...will they pinch the little piece of Paragon Park alongside?

I think I had better go to that meeting.:-)
Tuesday 27 September 2005 9.09am
Just looked at the planning application again, ignoring the fact that it says redevelopment instead of demolishing ( in error?)

By the side of environmental impact assessment status is: Not required by regs and nothing submitted...what does that mean? ' cos I'm going to to Crossways tonight and i want to know what to ask!
Tuesday 27 September 2005 12.06pm
Jan

Due to a major boiler malfunction i am afraid i will be cadging the use of a shower from relatives tonight especially for the grubby child so will not be able to make it but I would be grateful if you would let us know how it went!
Sal
Tuesday 27 September 2005 12.21pm
When a planning application has a big impact on an area, an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is submitted with the application. Believe me, they are big documents, I have one sitting on my desk!!!!

Jan the old one Wrote:
> Just looked at the planning application again,
> ignoring the fact that it says redevelopment
> instead of demolishing ( in error?)
>
> By the side of environmental impact assessment
> status is: Not required by regs and nothing
> submitted...what does that mean? ' cos I'm going
> to to Crossways tonight and i want to know what to
> ask!

Tuesday 27 September 2005 12.24pm
but surely such a big development would have an enviromental impact? what is the criteria?
Tuesday 27 September 2005 12.30pm
dee dee,

The best guide I've found is here - but it's pretty heavy going notwithstanding...

See Chapter 1 for the description of the types of developments which require EIAs

Edited to say, having re-read your and Sal's posts - I think it's helpful to get the distinction between "environment" (green stuff) and "environment" (local area). EIAs are primarily required to deal with the former, not the latter.

If Driscoll House was, say, an old printing works, the redevelopment could throw up all kinds of environmental issues (old chemicals leached into the ground etc) and an EIA would therefore be required.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 27 September 2005 12.37pm by Siduhe.
Tuesday 27 September 2005 12.49pm
Siduhe, I took a look, and by 'eck I felt like a moron, what happened to the Society for Plain English? I wonder if the powers that be complicate things on purpose..:-)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions