London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 20
Tuesday 11 October 2005 1.06pm
Just to say that when they say redevelopment they mean demolition and rebuilding something new. If they were converting they would say conversion.

I work for a planning advice orgainsation, Willowbrook Centre, that gives free advice to local people and groups in Southwark who cannot afford to pay professional fees. We can offer to help people wanting to object to large planning applications as well as people wanting to develop community schemes.

I think that the letter that stephen.h wrote and the unladylike MS. Jo'S ideas are great but if anyone needs any future help please get in touch.

I can be reached on [email protected] or 020-7732-8856.
Thursday 27 October 2005 10.17pm
I read Tim Moore's book too, and ever since I've been peering at it from the bus. His girlfriend did stay there by the way - whilst he was in Claridges or something like that (The book is a great read - esp. the Old Kent Road chapter.)

It's a shame Mr Driscoll is packing up - running super cheap accomodation for students or people visiting from poor countries is a great thing. It's almost a public service to London tourism.

With it's high ceilings it's not really going to be a contender for low cost (i.e. high density) housing. In reality, if that was the goal, it would probably be cheaper to knock it down - but in this area there is surely enough brownfield (or light industrial that could have a change of use) that could be turned over to boost housing stock?
Monday 14 November 2005 9.40pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1851

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 15 November 2005 10.13am
The buyers of Driscoll House must be wringing their hands with delight...only a million...cheap as chips.....
Friday 18 November 2005 10.55am
Ah! But does the report not quote Mr Driscoll as saying he sold his hotel "for in EXCESS of £1million".

Maybe, at the end of an extraordinarily long and unique career, it is Mr Driscoll, himself, who is wringing his hands with delight at trousering a tidy, cash, retirement fund, while leaving his immediate difficulties way behind him!!

I bet my bank manager would relish the opportunity to swap my modest current account, complete with it's relentlessly persistent overdraft, for Mr Driscoll's custom...without even pausing to take a breath!!
Friday 18 November 2005 12.55pm
My giddy aunt Paul....what on earth will he do with himself when he retires with all that money? I suppose being a good Christian he'll leave it all to Charity when he shuffles off this mortal coil......My daughters name is Charity!
Friday 18 November 2005 1.56pm
I've just wasted £2 at Land Register Online to find out what the sale price was:

REGISTER EXTRACT
Title Number : SGL76514
Address of Property : Driscoll House, 172 to 180 (even numbers) New Kent
Road, London (SE1 4YT)
Price Stated : Not Available
Registered Owner(s) : Oracle Homes Limited of Oracle House, 55 South
Street, Epsom, Surrey KT18 7PX
Lender(s) : Investec Bank (UK) Limited

So how have they managed to avoid registering the sale price???
Friday 18 November 2005 2.23pm
Perhaps it not really been sold yet? and all this is a sham? tax evasion?
Friday 18 November 2005 2.26pm
It can mean that the completion has taken place (and notified to the Registry) but that the transfer documents have not yet been filed (can take weeks or months after completion). Not that unusual, particularly if the transaction is a signficant one, or that the transfer docs contain a mixture of registered and unregistered land with a common price ?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18 November 2005 2.41pm by Siduhe.
Friday 18 November 2005 3.13pm
The title was only registered on 31 October, so it is possible that documents are still in transit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TITLE NUMBER : SGL76514
A PROPERTY REGISTER
This register describes the land and estate comprised in the title.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOUTHWARK
1 (10.11.1910) The Freehold land shown edged with red on the plan of
the above Title filed at the Registry and being Driscoll House, 172 to
180 (even numbers) New Kent Road, London (SE1 4YT).
2 (23.07.2003) The land has the benefit of the rights reserved by but is
subject to the rights granted by a Transfer of 170 New Kent Road made
between (1) Terence John Driscoll and (2) Ann Driscoll.
¬NOTE: Copy filed under TGL222699.
END OF A REGISTER

Am I right to read that as meaning that the freehold area is unchanged from 1910?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions