London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 20
Friday 18 November 2005 5.29pm
Am I right to read that as meaning that the freehold area is unchanged from 1910?

Yes The 1910 document is the root convenance from which the title to that exact piece of land derives. It is, however, perfectly possible that same parcel of land could have been transferred to other people over the time. A new conveyance would need to be listed if part of the land had been taken out or the parcel added to.

Can't have been sold since 1st December 1990 though (date when compulsory registration of land on sale came into effect in England and Wales).

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18 November 2005 5.30pm by Siduhe.
Monday 21 November 2005 2.04pm
Without stepping into deep water, having personal knowledge of Mr. Terence Drsicoll, it would surprise me very much if the simple sale price of Driscoll House Hotel was a flat one million. In all business dealings, he was known as a very cautious and canny man. Also, his daughter, Anne, ran the hotel for many years and one can't imagine that she would not still be involved in some way. I could be wrong. However, financial dealings aside, local residents should certainly get to the bottom of the full proposed development and how it will impact on their lives and environment. The building itself should not be demolished. It seems as if unsympathetic redevelopment might slip through the net if examples of misleading the public to date by those involved is anything to go by. In addition to complaining to the council (see previous emails) perhaps alerting the local newspapers might be useful.
Tuesday 20 December 2005 12.35pm
it has been turned down-the reasoning agrees with what most people thought!

The proposed development by virtue of its height, bulk, poor quality design, lack of architectural integrity and detrimental impact on the adjacent listed buildings is considered to be detrimental to the street scene, the local context and visual amenity of the area. The proposal is thereby unacceptable and contrary to the following policies E.2.1. Layout and Building Line, E.2.2. Heights of Buildings, E.2.3 Aesthetic Control, Policy E.2.5 External Space of the Southwark Unitary Development Plan 1995 and 4.6. Proposals Affecting Listed Buildings, 3.11 Quality in Design, Policy 3.13 Urban Design, 3.15 Conservation of the Historic Environment, 3.18 Setting of Listed Buildings, Conservation Areas and World Heritage Sites, 3.20 Tall Buildings of the Southwark Plan [Revised Draft Including Pre-Inquiry and Final Changes] February 2005.
The proposal amounts to an over intensive development, resulting in a design that is bulky and excessive in both height and massing, has a poor relationship with the neighbouring buildings including Grade II listed terraces, is poorly presented to the street scene and would impact upon the amenity of future occupiers. The proposal is thereby unacceptable and contrary to Policies E.2.3 Aesthetic Control, E.3.1 Protection of Amenity, H.1.7 Density of New residential Development of the Southward Unitary Development Plan 1995 and Policies 3.2 Protection of Amenity, 3.10 Efficient Use of Land, 3.11 Quality in Design, 3.13 Urban Design and 4.1 Density of Residential Development of the Southwark Plan [Revised Draft Including Pre-Inquiry and Final Changes] February 2005.
The open space provision put forward is considered to be substandard and unacceptable, with a considerable number of two or more bedroom dwellings not having access to any form of open space/amenity area provision and it is considered unreasonable to rely on the adjacent park to serve as open space/amenity area for the future occupiers. The proposal is thereby contrary to Policies H.1.8 Standards for New Housing and SPG 5 Standards, Controls and Guidelines of Residential Development and Policies 4.2 Quality of Residential Accommodation of the Southwark Plan [Revised Draft Including Pre-Inquiry and Final Changes] February 2005.
The proximity of the proposed building's habitable room windows, balconies and roof terraces would be likely to give rise to problems of privacy, overlooking, noise and general disturbance which would impact on the amenities of neighbouring occupiers. The proposal is thereby unacceptable and contrary to Policies E.3.1 Protection of Amenity of the Southwark Unitary Development Plan 1995 as well as 3.2 Protection of Amenity and 3.10 Efficient Use of Land of the Southwark Plan [Revised Draft Including Pre-Inquiry and Final Changes] February 2005.
The proposed internal layout of the development is undesirable and would affect the living conditions of future occupiers. In particular, there is a concern for natural ventilation to certain kitchens proposed therein and the limited outlook afforded by the considerable number of single aspect units. Furthermore, the proximity of bedrooms to both plant and waste rooms and the flat entrances as well as poorly configured entry cores would impact negatively on future occupiers. The development is unsatisfactory and contrary to Policies H.1.8 Standards for New Housing of the Southwark Unitary Development Plan 1995 as well as 3.2 Protection of Amenity, 3.10 Efficient Use of Land, 3.11 Quality in Design, 3.13 Urban Design and 4.2 Quality of Residential Accommodation of the Southwark Plan [Revised Draft Including Pre-Inquiry and Final Changes] February 2005. .
Tuesday 20 December 2005 1.52pm
sorry James, I am unable to reply under the previous link, it just kep saying i have error etc.,

Wonderful news about Driscoll House....
Tuesday 20 December 2005 2.38pm
I've merged your message into the other thread.

I thought I'd fixed the problem with the SQL error messages, but alas it seems not...

Ho hum.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 20 December 2005 2.42pm
Congratulations all concerned. Be prepared for the Appeal!
Friday 23 December 2005 10.53am
I just read of Mr. Driscoll's fines and the selling of Driscoll House Hotel. On my first trip to London in 1985 I stayed at Driscoll House and can best describe at that time as being a bit...Dickinson. Even twenty years ago it was worn around the edges and needed a coat of paint. I stayed there on all my trips to London up until 1997 when I could no longer stand seeing this old and once beautiful building slip sliding into disrepair. I often wondered how Mr. Driscoll could allow this to happen but then I don't think at his age he got around that much or maybe he planned to sell all along. There have literally been no changes made to the inside of this building; its like walking on to a movie set in 1910. Somebody should run in quick with a camera and photograph it before it gets torn down. I stopped in last year and was appalled at how run down it had become and knew it was just a matter of time before it would be closed. Saying all that one of the things that would bring me back to Driscoll House was its amazing cast of characters, both permanent residents and visitors. Did you know Mr. Driscoll sponsered and housed Russian children to spend the summers in London to learn english? Many stories are going to be lost and I wonder what will happen to the elderly who have lived there for years at reduced rates. It will be a sad for Southwark when this piece of history gets torn down.
Tuesday 10 January 2006 6.19am
Hi all.
I've been a regular visitor to Driscoll House over a period of around 3/4 years, up until just before Christmas 2004. It suited my pocket well, and even though it had got badly run down, I was happy enough there. Got to know a lot of the residents, and staff very well, and still keep in touch with some of them. Over the years I stayed there, the place just got more & more run down, and nothing but a massive investment would sort it. Mr Driscoll must be 92/93 now, and I feel sorry for him in ways. The place had got so run down, that people were not staying, and without money coming in, he can not invest.
Makes me feel really sad the way things have gone there. It is such a lovely building, and must have been a hive of activety, and happiness in it's day. There are a lot of photos on the walls which had been taken in better days. I'm sorry now, that I didn't take some pictures when I stayed there, but that's life.
I hope the building will not be pulled down, but converted in some way to preserve it.
Tuesday 10 January 2006 11.28pm
Hi all - from Australia

I only read this morning, as I was browsing to book into Driscoll House next August, that it is closed.

I agree with Acme and others who remark on it's quite individual charm both in architecture and residents.

I did take photos last time I was there - in 2001. The dining room and the laundry. I'm glad I did. Yet another little part of history that will be lost.

Any suggestions where I can stay next August? I stayed at YMCA Barbican in August this year. It didn't have quite the "uniqueness" of Driscoll House.

Regards to all from a very hot Melbourne 43 degrees.

Betty
Sunday 15 January 2006 1.24pm
Hi! I've stayed at Driscoll House many times on visiting London over the years and although it had a gloomy drab appearance, I found it to be clean and basic, with good food, and from the dining room you have a good view into the kitchen, and it never looked dirty to me. In fact at night when there was no kitchen staff there, you could go into the kitchen and make yourself a cup of tea and the place always seemed clean to me. I'm happy to eat there.

Are you guys sure it is closed?

I phoned them yesterday and someone answered and was willing to give me a reservation if I wanted it.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions