London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 20
Monday 10 April 2006 7.31am
Jan and all, I am going to drop in this week and speak to Mr Driscoll if he would show a small group of interested locals around. I will post the results here.
Monday 10 April 2006 8.58am
Andrew H - fascinating post. Is what the receptionist said true?

Is Driscoll House now listed or is the application still underway?
Monday 10 April 2006 9.38am
I assume the application is pending, because the news story on this site about the campaign for listing (link above) was only a few weeks ago and I can't imagine things move that quickly.
Tuesday 11 April 2006 1.16pm
OK I have started a basic Wikipedia page about Driscoll House, and added a couple of the photos of the interior that I took on Sunday. I have included everything I know about DH but I am sure others can add more. Check out the postcard I bought at reception:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driscoll_House

Having created that dedicated page, I have now deleted most of the info about Driscoll House from the New Kent Road page, and just left the basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Kent_Road

No new yet on a visit to Drsicoll House, but watch this space.

Andrew H
Thursday 13 April 2006 5.23am
Thanks for that Andrew.
"The Bricklayers Arms". Take it there was a pub by that name around there at one time?
Thursday 13 April 2006 6.18am
Big Pub actually Yozo, it stood approximately where Tower Bridge Nursing home is now....(bricklayers roundabout) I just wish I could show people what a wonderful place all that area was before the heart was ripped out ....:-(
ADT
Thursday 13 April 2006 8.35am
I understood that the original Bricklayers Arms was a pub there several hundres of years ago and the name was retained in the area after the original pub by Bricklayers Arms Station, which was a railway station on the site now occupied by the Tate storage warehouse, and the other factories etc. along Mandela Way, and was once the main terminus for people coming in from the South East (in the 1800s).
Friday 14 April 2006 1.33am
Andrew H wrote:
Jan and all, I am going to drop in this week and speak to Mr Driscoll if he would show a small group of interested locals around. I will post the results here.

Andrew - I would be very interested in joining this visit if you get the go ahead. I have been in the lobby and taken a few photographs, but would like to get more.

One of my interests is exploring interesting abandoned buildings - 'live' ones are normally off limits.

PS For anyone who's seen my other stuff and liked it... here's "The Man in the Lake"... a recent trip to an underwater glass domed billiards room accessed via a secret tunnel... http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulholmes/sets/72057594100695007/
Friday 14 April 2006 7.30am
I'd love to come along too, I adore that kind of thing and it's a lovely piece of history which will probably, like many things, be snatched from us by greedy developers.
Friday 14 April 2006 12.50pm
Haven't had a chance to speak to TD yet, but I will do so shortly. If he agrees to a guided (or unguided) tour, I will post details here, so tag this thread if you are interested.
Current: 8 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions