London SE1 community website

Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 20
Saturday 15 April 2006 4.36am
I'd love to join a tour too, it sounds like a very special place. Will keep my eye on this thread.
Saturday 15 April 2006 10.47am
I'd find a visit fascinating - even though I'm only a virtual "local" these days.
Sunday 16 April 2006 12.43pm
I had a word with Mr Driscoll today. He was friendly enough but did not seem too keen on an organised visit or tour, and was a bit suspicious. He said a tour was not fair on his residents, and impinged on their privacy. However he did perk up a bit when discussing the local reaction to the proposed redevelopment of Driscoll House, and I emphasised that this was the spirit of the proposed visit by members of this forum (and that some of them may well have been part of the campaign to save DH.

I did catch him in the middle of his Sunday lunch, so I let him eat, and left it by saying perhaps I could drop in another time and talk with him again. He said that was fine.

Andrew Humphrey, Channel SE1 News, New Kent Road
Sunday 16 April 2006 5.41pm
Good on you Andrew, tell him it's absolutely in his interest to have us there, that we are quiet and respectful and truly concerned for local history to be preserved.
Monday 1 May 2006 4.36pm
Hi everyone. Could someone please update me on the proposed destruction of this wonderful hotel. Our family stayed there in May of 2005 for over a week and fell in love with the character this great hotel has to offer. Thanks. doug B. - Vancouver, Canada.
Monday 1 May 2006 6.08pm
what's happening about our tour????
Monday 1 May 2006 9.45pm
I haven't spoken to Mr Drsicoll again yet, sorry. Will try to do so in the next few weeks.
Sunday 9 July 2006 6.11am
I spent a night at Driscoll House in June 2006. It seemed like there were a lot less residents there than a few years ago, judging from the crowd, or lack thereof, at mealtimes. The kitchen seemed clean and food was OK although the variety of food seemed to have decreased from what it was a few years ago. But at 30 per night including breakfast and dinner that is the best deal you can get in London. I am surely going to try to go back there whenever I'm in London.
Sunday 9 July 2006 8.40am
Gosh, thanks for reminding me. I have cousins coming to stay in August and was asking around in our block MCH for someone's flat to stay in...no response, so will try Driscoll House. I'm dying of curiousity about it anyway.
Sunday 9 July 2006 10.53am
i would not let my dog stay in there, let alone my family. It's looks filthy from the outside, windows smashed and the curtains look fit for the bin. Unless they have a 4* anexe built at the back. Why not try Eurotravller in Walworth Road for your family to stay in??
Current: 9 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions