London SE1 community website

Coin Street's plan for 48-storey tower - a betrayal of their founding principles?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Tuesday 4 October 2005 1.54pm
Andrew

thank you for that excellent link, very illuminating
Tuesday 4 October 2005 4.19pm
Mickey

No offence intended. Tall buildings seem to take a lot of flak for reasons that are lost on me. I don't have anything against tall buildings and, in fact, I think that like any other building, well designed they can add to everyone's experience.

CSCB are exploiting the opportunity that they were handed on a plate 20+ years ago and maybe the problem is the 'community' bit in the organisation's title. It seems to me that the 'community' that they focus on is their own community. Fine if you are an insider but less good if you are on the outside.

So Diogenes raises an interesting question. How do you become an insider in CSCB?

Regards

Niall
Tuesday 4 October 2005 8.14pm
To go back to Nial Colnalys point of, course they're not automatically bad in general , but there not automatically good eather.canery wharf didn't enhance the London skyline and in spesific locations they are unacseptible fullstiop.
If a fifty story tower was built at Isligton green it would destroy the area, regardless of what the tower looked like ,

Bill boards are probably a good comparison you wouldn't put bill boards up in St. James's park regardless of what was on them.

you wouldent built a fifty story building eather.

and as I've said before what hapens at street level is probably more important.
Wednesday 5 October 2005 10.53am
Hi Everyone!!

last week on Thursday I was at the south bank for a meeting and would like to tell people what the plan is for the site. At the meeting ‘Coin Street Builders' I put forward an idea of what could be built on site. The Plan for 48-storey tower behind the National Theatre was one of 3 ideas that were to be put forward from the group. At the end of the talk one man speaking clear said that this was still one idea that has not been cleared and had still been going thought talks! Also the talk of all these tall buildings is one that is been going around the block. People need to understand that, with the lack of ground space in London the only way of get buildings built is to go upwards. And with London going the way it is more and more tall buildings are going up. Along with the tower bridge tower and the Vauxhall tower we are in the middle of it all and it's only so long until we have a tall tower in the area!! So why not get it over and done with and move on?
Wednesday 5 October 2005 1.04pm
Jack2005 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Along with the tower
> bridge tower and the Vauxhall tower we are in the
> middle of it all and it's only so long until we
> have a tall tower in the area!! So why not get it
> over and done with and move on?
>

Because Coin Street was created to be about affordable housing and community provision around the Waterloo area, not something traditionally associated with skyscrapers?

That may turn out to be best solution to what is going on, but you'll have to forgive us for having some scepticism Jack.

Wednesday 5 October 2005 1.14pm
Jack2005 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People need to understand that,
> with the lack of ground space in London the only
> way of get buildings built is to go upwards. And
> with London going the way it is more and more tall
> buildings are going up.

If you follow that line to its logical conclusion, then Coin Street should now be planning to demolish the scandalously wasteful, low rise, low density houses with individual gardens (near Bernie Spain Gardens) built in the first phase of development and rebuild them with something more "appropriate" to their city centre location.

Wednesday 5 October 2005 4.27pm
strange how they are all built along the river

I think london has more ground space than that.

also

its actually got nothing to do with ground space.

its all about sucking up to the developers by giving them the
prime e sites that shouldn't really be developed like that.

its lucky stone Hendg isn't in London or they would be building
a sky scraper next to that.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 5 October 2005 4.38pm by mickysalt.
Wednesday 5 October 2005 7.26pm
Here's a view of the site from the roof terrace of the Hayward Gallery:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 5 October 2005 10.07pm
Andrew i total under stnad for people having some scepticism and i think it is a good thing to show that we are not going to let people walk all over us. But i think in this moment of time about all the talk of tall bulidings is best for us to inform them. Of what us local people want to see in the buling plans and not to have in ten years time later have developers. Coming to the area telling us we have no choice but to have a very tall bulding bulit that dose not have to be in design witht ofther bulidings in the area. Also That local peolpe do not have no say. After all if we say no to all the tow towers perposed for the area. Then what is stoping them in ten years later coming back with new plans of a bigger tower when we have no choice becasue of lack of land sapce in london!! after all it onlt take the mayor to over rule allof us!!! I belive that we need to get it over and done with now. Then at least in ten years we wont have plans for a taller tower to be bulit in se1 that people have no say over. After all se1 seems to be the new Canry Whalf!!!!?

p.s. sorry about spelling mistakes and all of that very tired and needing sleep!!!
Thursday 6 October 2005 12.16pm
More on the long term flooding risk that I mentioned previously:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1584894,00.html
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions