London SE1 community website

Coin Street's plan for 48-storey tower - a betrayal of their founding principles?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Thursday 13 October 2005 12.52pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1786

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 13 October 2005 4.21pm
LR:>If you follow that line to its logical conclusion, then Coin Street should now be planning to demolish the scandalously wasteful, low rise, low density houses with individual gardens (near Bernie Spain Gardens) built in the first phase of development and rebuild them with something more "appropriate" to their city centre location.

I have little doubt that the builders of such houses - at the back of the Alaska, near St James's church etc. greatly regret not having put up sky scrapers... and then rented them out until they sold them some years later!

Even the worst excesses of modern apartment blocks tend to look better than those pokey 'executive' houses.
Thursday 13 October 2005 9.12pm
it looks no better than the Nat West tower.
I cant beleave that will get built.
Friday 14 October 2005 11.18am
It looks okay to me... certainly better than that God-awful Beetham Tower they're planning further to the east.

Yes, it's very tall - but compared to the Beetham Tower it's a better size and scale, it's set further back from the river and the design is less pretentious and wacky, so overall it won't "stick out" as much.

And by the way, what's so bad about the NatWest Tower? I actually think it's quite cool.
Friday 14 October 2005 1.40pm
The exhibition is worth a visit. Went last Sunday, very knowledgable lady talked us through the plans.

They don't stress enough that the shops, offices and flats are the only way to pay for the running of the pool complex, although I would like to see the numbers.

Oddly there is no social housing in the complex, they "may" allocate some flats to keyworkers if the numbers stack up.

Over all I think the design would improve the area but some questions remain
Friday 14 October 2005 3.25pm
my god theres got to be better way of funding a swimming pool.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 4.04pm
CABE have delivered their verdict:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1821

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 4.11pm
Wern't CABE supposed to be anchor tenants. That's what I remember from a couple of years back.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 10.45pm
Cabe give there support to everything.

it an architects mutual support group.

I find the consept of them aporling.

The famous views in London are a major part of what makes London a great city.

Cabe don't care about London they just care about there own commercial interests.

If you look at there web site they have more greenwash then Shell and BP put together.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 11.20pm
also

I Cant help thinking that in Ken Livingstons strange mind he thinks any heritage issue is part of some sort of class war between Prince Charles and what he sees as the working class architects.

thats a prtty petty attitude London could do without.

Protecting London's famous views is not a trivial issue
They are an important part of what makes a great city. Regardless of what sort of background you come from.

Reading the news papers lately I think there is a growing realization of this.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 1 November 2005 11.21pm by mickysalt.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions