London SE1 community website

Bermondsey and the Blitz

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 17 October 2005 9.46am
If you accessed the back of the town hall via a narrow entrance near where there used to be a electricity sub station, as Lang rabbie said where woodmill building is.... I shall have to think and rack my brains and check my mine of information, me mum!

I have just gone on the site that Adrian mentioned for war graves, and got lost in the old addresses, then in the sadness of families wiped out, babes in arms,mums, dads, grandparents, brothers and sisters...

when researching my grandads w.w.1 background, on the m.o.d bits were ' Theatre of War' the Balkans, some one had a weird dramatic sense of phrasing...people are still killing people under the heading of ' war' and it's still over oil...resources etc.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17 October 2005 10.04am by Jan the old one.
Tuesday 18 October 2005 5.18pm
It is appreciated that this was a separate incident but I did note "Jan the old one"'s note (no offence intended) that Mr Henley was injured during the bombing and was wondering which bombing this was. The 1940 one or the 1941 one which finally killed him. My interest in him is personal he being a cousin some number removed.

If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

Adrian
Wednesday 19 October 2005 11.11am
Adrian, go the town hall in spa road, and inspect his portarit, he was a fine looking man. It was just upstairs, I remember getting annoyed as it was stuck on the stairs, especially as I had just read the book which described how brave and courageous he was. we treat our heroes real good in southwark......
Wednesday 19 October 2005 5.17pm
Can you recall the name of the book, all I know is really what was mentioned alongtime ago by my grandmother and the few snippets such as the newspaper cutting.
Wednesday 19 October 2005 6.11pm
I have just searched online and I think I have may have found it. David Fraser 1980. I shall send off for it in case it's the wrong one and I would feel dreadful!
the title is Blitz
Monday 28 January 2008 6.49pm
Does anybody know the whereabouts of Littlington Street Bermondsey? My grandparents lived at no. 22 in 1904. I can't find it on any modern maps so I assume it probably ceased to exist during or just after the last war. I've got memories as a kid of being told it was somewhere near Jamaica Road.
Wednesday 30 January 2008 6.24pm
Russ, i think it's still there...lytling street se16.
Thursday 31 January 2008 9.02am
Thanks Jan, the address was definitely Littlington Street . As it happens I can't find Lytling Street either. I suppose you don't know of anywhere in the area that would have old maps of Bermondsey & Rotherhithe...pre 1939, there's a chance I could find it that way.
Thursday 31 January 2008 9.16am
Yes, I'm sure you could find relevant historical maps in the excellent Southwark Local History Library - you could also try Alan Godfrey maps who sell repro maps between 1872 and 1914 or later for which they charge (what seems to me to be a bargain) 2.25 each plus 75p per order postage (no connection etc.....). Website here, but also available in some bookshops such as Ian Allan in Lower Marsh http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/bermondsey.htm
Thursday 31 January 2008 9.38am
Thanks Luke.I'll follow up your suggestions. Probably easier for me to contact Alan Godfrey. I'm not in the area so visiting Southwark Local History Library would be difficult.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions