London SE1 community website

Bermondsey and the Blitz

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Thursday 21 August 2008 8.35pm
Littlington Street used to run off of Southwark Road and backed on to the park.

I believe it was named such as it ws the name of the village that the Rector of Bermondsey formerly served during the Victorian era
Thursday 21 August 2008 8.43pm
Coincidentally, there is a one page article on Bermondsey in the Blitz in the Southwark News this week.
Thursday 21 August 2008 8.49pm
Mayor Henley was killed by enemy action on 11 May 1941 outside the Bermondsey Town Hall in Spa Road. This night was the last real night of the "Night Blitz" of 1940/41

Mayor Alfred Henley was non-stop during the Blitz often sleeping in his office. He would help out where the need was the greatest in those dark days

On 11 May he and his brother had just finished some electrical repairs at the Municipal Offices when they hear that Peak Frean's shelter had been hit. (He lived nearby in Drummond Road). He summoned his chauffeur, Eddie, to take him along to help, but was hit by shrapnel from a bomb in Spa Road. He later died of his wounds in hospital. He was cremated at Honor Oak some days later

Henley Drive just around the corner is named after him and I believe there is a block of flats elsewhere honouring him in the borough

Earlier in the day he had been at a rehearsal of "Journey's End" at Clubland Youth Club which is a play about the First World War Trenches written by a veteran
Thursday 21 August 2008 8.57pm
Found this photo of Litlington Street:

"House on Litlington Street and the entrance to Southwark Park Club, off Southwark Park Road. April 1976."
Thursday 16 June 2011 3.55pm
I'm the great-granddaughter of Albert Henley. WWII is of particular interest to me as there is alot of family history. When Albert Henley died he was not wearing his 'lucky jumper' a waistcoat knitted for him by Gladys Henley, my great-grandmother. 'The city that wouldn't die' by Richard Collier is a great book outlining alot of important people who died in the war. If anyone has more information about Albert Henley I would be grateful to know, as his life and my family history interests me.
Many thanks
Littlegirl
Monday 19 December 2016 5.44pm
Len Henley was sadly killed during the bombing of the town hall.Lens son,also called Len became a councillor on the old Bermondsey borough council and later Southwark council.He was mayor of Southwark for one year late 1970's or early 1980's.
Monday 19 December 2016 7.46pm
There was a smashing portrait in oil hanging in Bermondsey town hall when I worked there. Left in 1995, often wonder what happened to it, a hero of Southwark wonder if they gave it to his family?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions