London SE1 community website

English Heritage- the enemy within?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
MM
Saturday 22 March 2003 4.53pm
yes, because when I go to work I never leave the office to buy a sandwich or a drink or a newspaper or a birthday card or some milk and therefore never put anything back into the local economy. Just like the 20,000 other workers who will be in this building.

-MM- The Nature of Monkey was Irrepressible.
Monday 24 March 2003 10.41am
Jac is suggesting that the Tower will threaten Borough Market. Do we know if this is true? That would change my opinion.
Monday 24 March 2003 11.47am
I say build the tower and so does my partner! We both live in Trinity Street i.e. the vicinity of the proposed Shard. We currently see from our bedroom window one of the ugliest monstrosities ever constructed....Guys' Hospital and also some other non-descript towers.
I shop, walk and work in the area and can see no reason to refuse this beautiful building, which will further assist the ongoing re-generation of this part of Southwark. A major benefit will be the re-development of London Bridge Station.
English Heritage is an un-elected Quango who would, if they got their way, have us trotting aroung the City in Pony and traps.
And just for the record, why do we need these protected views of St Pauls? I for one believe that It is a building that needs to be seen close up.
London should never stand still and this is one of the reasons that makes it such a vibrant and diverse place to live. This is the 21st centuary and we need new building to reflect that. The old and the new should and can co-exist together in my opinion.
Ian Glover
Trinity Street
SE1
Monday 24 March 2003 1.24pm
why does it have to be there though - and I like the skyline as it is now anyway - I hope the bloody thing sinks near the river if they build it..
Jai
Monday 24 March 2003 3.38pm
Most Parisians hated the Eifel Tower too !

Varkenslachter
Tuesday 1 April 2003 1.05am

THis is a bit strong!

They're just doing their job arn't they?

I mean, could they actually favor this tower and not just seem a bit ridiculous?
Tuesday 1 April 2003 6.52am
for as long as I can remember, those who talk about business on radio and television have predicted that more and more people will be working from home. So, Why do we keep building more and more office blocks? It has recently been estimated that their is the equivalent of the offices in the canary warf development which are empty in London alone, so why build more. Has it become an obsession? What is wrong with open space?
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions