London SE1 community website

Cameras on Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 19
Wednesday 8 March 2006 12.16pm
Got to say ADT has a very nice out look on life what a joy this planet would be if everyone was so kind and understanding, I think I've heard the mayor use a word that describes the like's of him before.....

I really should get out of the car in the future when in busy places and push it instead (much safer) of course I will wear a high visibility jacket or would that bring the tone and beauty of the Bridge down to an unacceptable level? What to do, of course if the powers that be really wanted us to slow down and bring our attention to the change in the speed limit they could always put in a sleeping policeman (ADT that's not a real policeman it means a hump in the road so please don't get upset!)
Jac
Wednesday 8 March 2006 12.31pm
well it certainly seems to include rob.

why is it than when people disagree with your view that if you cant talk them round to agreeing with you, one has to start being agressive or sling insults? It something that tends to rather spoil this forum from time to time. Why not simply agree to disagree?
Wednesday 8 March 2006 1.06pm
rob chapman wrote:
Got to say ADT has a very nice out look on life what a joy this planet would be if everyone was so kind and understanding

Surely that's stretching it too far. I think that if you'd said: "what a joy it would be if people obeyed the rules of the road, including speed limits, and didn't moan when they were caught" then that would be more accurate.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 8 March 2006 1.07pm
Some people just don't want to hear other people's opinions, my comment was ment to bring some humor (obviously lacking in some people) what I believe is being missed is that surely with a high number of people saying signs aren't clear enough and honest mistakes have been made this is the point being made. For ADT to be so judgmental on these issues against the people who have made them does nothing to add to the debate and the statement

"IMHO the signs are clear and the large cameras looming overhead are also a big clue. I don't agree with your defence of 'signs too small', and I hope that won't wash with the courts either. You wouldn't try to argue that knocking a child over was less of a crime than knocking an adult over simply because they are smaller would you?"

To be honest I am still trying to understand the connection between children and road signs it has no point or meaning, its nice to know that our fellow threader is so eager to see all of us punished when after the event we have not said we weren't speeding just that we didn't know we were because the change and signs had not clearly been made. Other areas of the law require that signs be clearly placed and marked for instance in car parks for clamping oh AND ALSO IN ROAD SAFETY SIGNS! However as the nice prosecuting letter satiated that Normal signs and cameras had not been used to AVOID SPOILING THE VIEWS so if this is the case then surely they would not be as visible, now when I cross the bridge I notice them why because I have the threat of points looming, like I said before after 15 years of going over the bridge I had not noticed them before, in 15 years until now I have kept a clean licence (I don't enjoy breaking the law but equally don't feel that it is right for people to be caught out)
Wednesday 8 March 2006 1.12pm
Just in case anyone is any doubt I have had a driving licence for fifty years now and am still a boy racer!
ADT
Wednesday 8 March 2006 2.10pm
Quote:
Some people just don't want to hear other people's opinions, my comment was ment (sic) to bring some humor (obviously lacking in some people) what I believe is being missed is that surely with a high number of people saying signs aren't clear enough and honest mistakes have been made this is the point being made. For ADT to be so judgmental on these issues against the people who have made them does nothing to add to the debate and the statement

Seems *you* didn't want to hear *my* opinion. All I did was comment on some things I didn't particularly agree with.

If you look through this thread there are just as many people who think the signs are (sufficiently) visible, as those that think that they are not, and once again (without judging) even an honest mistake is no guarantee of a defence against the law, which is why I think you should pay the fine and stop moaning.

The analogous situation I used with children/adults was perhaps an extreme one, but it was intended to be. In any event, I think it still stands. To elucidate: why should you notice a 'normal' sized red and white sign, but not a smaller one, if you can notice both adults and children, all of these being things you should see and take note of whilst driving.

Quote:
Other areas of the law require that signs be clearly placed and marked

[opinion]As in, next to the road, by a big speed camera gantry, with large black numbers on a white background surrounded by a red circle?[/opinion]
ADT
Wednesday 8 March 2006 2.14pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
alan chapman wrote:
Just because we are talking about cars on this thread does not mean we have to behave as though we actually behind the wheel.

Don't understand. Are you saying that ADT's post was careful, cautious, and showing due respect to other forum-users?

I like it :-)

NB I haven't counted the numbers posting for and against concerning visibility or not of the signs (before anyone bothers throwing some pedantry at me!), just a general feeling that there was a reasonable balance.
Wednesday 8 March 2006 3.04pm
I have a theory....

Those people who are peeved about the 20 mph limit and/or the visibility of the signs are those that have been caught out, and want to vent their frustration at someone other than themselves.

Those people who are supportive of the 20 mph limit and/or think the signs are perfectly noticeable, are those that have not been caught out... and can therefore revel in smug peity over those who recently received a speeding fine on their doormat.

Why don't we paint Tower Bridge bright yellow and install some bright flashing neon lights inscribed "20" all over it? Maybe only then will those that claim to have never known about the bridge's speed limit finally accept the rule of the law.
Wednesday 8 March 2006 3.14pm
Ohmigod, the mild-mannered & urbane Mr Chapman has a dark side - perhaps?
Wednesday 8 March 2006 3.20pm
Paul - you can't be talking about me - surely!
Current: 12 of 19
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions