London SE1 community website

Cameras on Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 19 of 19
Monday 21 January 2008 6.04pm
A law that is perceived to be unfair or wrong in any way drags the whole law into disrepute. So I don't believe it is wrong to challenge a law, wrong to break it, Yes, but all laws need to be justified so we respect them. 20 mph outside schools makes sense. 20 mph to protect the bridge may make sense, but how about information for drivers showing why a speed limit is justified would help the law gain respect. At the moment a lot of money is being raised from this limit on Tower Bridge so clearly not enough motorists either realise it's there of don't feel like it is justified.

I personally don't think that Tower Bridge is suitable for a major ring road. Where would the traffic go? The Dartford crossing is part of an established ring road. Or London or Blackfriars bridges which are several lanes wide would be more appropriate. Tower Bridge was selected as there was no alternative in the mad plan that Ken introduced which is in no way connected with "congestion" relief but as a political anti-car/van/trade vehicle plan of the interest groups he represents. He has already realised his original plan was wrong and doubled the size of the zone, it will only be a matter of time before the zone is increased further and it will be seen to be what it really is, a tax. That is why the US embassy is refusing to pay the CC charge as Embassies are exempt from local taxes.
Monday 21 January 2008 6.26pm
Do motorbikes get caught by this system?
Monday 21 January 2008 7.48pm
Yes, westofbank, if their average speed goes over 20mph - there isn't a GATSO-type speed camera with lines painted onto the road, you go past a camera on an overhead gantry as you enter and exit the bridge and it measures your average speed over the distance inbetween.
Monday 21 January 2008 8.44pm
Re: motorbikes. I thought the averaging cameras only get the front of the bikes? Motorcycles only have plates at the back.
Monday 21 January 2008 11.02pm
Don't the new style speed cameras have cameras that face towards and behind the traffic ? I could be wrong though

I have seen roads that have the sort of "old style" cameras but they take a picture of the front of the car , so they not only get the number plate but also a clear shot of who was driving at the time, to avoid court cases like the the limos driven by chief execs of football teams and large companies where the car is registered to the company and not the driver.( the companies etc "accidently" forget who was driving the car at the time , when the recieve the NIP......)

On a lighter note and poetic justice one motorbike rider thought he would be clever when coming up to the new cameras and did a wheelie to avoid them seeing his number plate.......only problem was , that there was an off duty police officer in the car behind him at the time ..whoops !!!

Also didn't around 7,000 drivers get there points deducted and there fines returned for the lower thames street cameras a year or so ago ? after one motorist who was a bit of a legal expert and knew the ins and outs of road traffic law / speed cameras / signage pointed out to the DVLA and City police that the main sign highlighting the 20 mph speed limit was partially obstructed by a lamp post !! ( if i remember rightly the highway code states that the speed limit on an urban road with streetlights is 30 mph unless otherwise stated)
Current: 19 of 19
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions