London SE1 community website

Cameras on Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 19
Monday 17 October 2005 6.50pm
You broke the law, so pay up!

I don't see anything wrong in using the cameras to catch all those who break the law however slight the 'defendant' believes their transgression to be.

Not insignicantly, only 10% of those hit by cars travelling at 20mph are killed, while 50% die when hit by cars travelling at 30mph.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/driving/speed_cameras.htm

Monday 17 October 2005 11.51pm
Jonathan K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You broke the law, so pay up!
>
> I don't see anything wrong in using the cameras to
> catch all those who break the law however slight
> the 'defendant' believes their transgression to
> be.
>
> Not insignicantly, only 10% of those hit by cars
> travelling at 20mph are killed, while 50% die when
> hit by cars travelling at 30mph.
>
Ah, statistics.
What age were those driving? What sex?Had they previous convictions? What age were the victims? Had the drivers or victims been drinking?Statistics rarely tell the whole story? Let's see: 80 mph on a deserted motorway, or 25 mph outside a school. The first is illegal, but rarely dangerous. The second often legal, potentially catastophic.
My issue is that we all respect and adhere to laws when they are fair and seen to be fair. A poorly placed sign and insufficient indication that a road is potentially full of confused tourists is hardly carte blanch to automatically send a fine. I do not break the law on Tower Bridge, I do often get irate motorists on the tail of my car travelling at 20 who probably believe the limit is 30 because they missed that crap sign.
Tuesday 18 October 2005 1.28pm
They are facts, not statistics!

The original poster was well aware of the speed limit beforehand and chose to drive at a speed much higher than that, as he thought he could get away with it. The 'if no one is around when I break the law then what does it matter' argument is not supported in other areas of life, so why should motorists think they are immune?
ADT
Tuesday 18 October 2005 1.45pm
I don't know about anyone else, but since living near Tower Bridge I have liked it more and more as a landmark, and quite enjoy the slow drive across it. Its just great to see all the people that have come many miles to loiter on the bridge and see views that I get to see each time I cruise across it at 20mph. It some irate driver is right up behind me, then I like to be completely safe and go slightly under 20mph (its the little things that make you happy :-]).

I suspect that more people would get caught by the speed trap if the queue at the lights at either end of the bridge didn't often extend back past the cameras. (Thats another reason for enjoying the slow cruise across - why be in a hurry to join the back of a queue!)

I should say however, that I'm opposed to motorway speed limits, and generally ignore them.
Tuesday 18 October 2005 2.17pm
"great to see all the people that have come many miles to loiter on the bridge and see views", none of us will be enjoying the views when the Berkley Homes development on Potters Fields is built.
Tuesday 18 October 2005 4.18pm
Jonathan K
I agree I broke the law. However I still stick to my original complaint that surely the police have better things to do than worry about such a minor transgression as this. It was 2am in the morning - there is no sight of any other vehicle or pedestrian on the photos. I cannot fall for the line that I damaged the structure of the bridge by travelling at that speed either. I have lived within 50 metres of Tower Bridge Road for the last twenty five years and have crossed the bridge countless times without managing to hit anybody or anything! However possibly I am to blame for the countless times on which it has got stuck!
Tuesday 18 October 2005 5.04pm
Paul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "keep their eyes on the road and not on their
> speedos".
>
> Can I just clarify that I have never worn Speedos
> while driving/cycling/walking in the Tower Bridge
> area.

Shame on you Paul - surely you know how fond the girls can be of the infamous "budgie smugglers" (TFIC)
Tuesday 18 October 2005 11.50pm
Alan - I doubt that there was human hand at any stage of you being caught and receiving the ticket; it is probably automated all the way through.

I understand that you would be very peeved at getting the fine, who wouldn't, but I don't think it is feasible to apply laws at certain times of the days and only during particular conditions; don't you agree that that would be crazy?
Wednesday 19 October 2005 3.00pm
I received the same.. had no idea about the change in speed limit & i been driving for over tower bridge for 10 years... just received a parking ticket in the post, as i was driving my sisters car at the time, they sent her the notice to owner, by the time it got to me, they took it to court & gave me 4 points, 100 fine & 35 court cost.

its a money making scam, they should have put up notices of speed limit change... there is also a 20mph speed zone on upper thames st... you been warn!!!!!!

Thursday 20 October 2005 10.21am
Sorry to disappoint you Hmeah, but the speed limit hasn't changed recently. It has been 20 (yes, TWENTY) MPH for as long as I can remember, and I've lived around Tower Bridge for 12 years.

What has changed (for the better in my opinion) is the technology used to enforce the speed limit.

Here's a little exercise for you to try next time you walk across the bridge: stand in the middle, where the two bascules meet. Watch how the heavier and faster the traffic travelling between the bascules, the more the bascules "bounce" to accommodate the extra stress.

By enforcing weight and speed limits on the bridge, we are preserving a unique monument, whilst still allowing traffic to cross it.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 19
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions