London SE1 community website

Cameras on Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 19
Jac
Wednesday 26 October 2005 11.36am
barry walsh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>> Too bad eh, that you never used this road before
> or your the tourist that always wanted to drive
> across the bridge for the once in a life time
> experience

Surely if you are a tourist doing a one in a lifetime drive you wouldn't be going across the bridge at 30+mph , they are moe likely to be the ones driving across at 5mph to admiring the views.
Wednesday 26 October 2005 1.17pm
Barry - good luck with that.

hope to hear more from you on the outcome of your refusal to pay a (legitimate) speeding fine.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 26 October 2005 1.17pm by JonR.
Thursday 27 October 2005 9.44am
Barry, I admire your Mahatma Gandhi -ish approach, but I'm not sure that standing up for what you consider to be an unjust and punitive road traffic enforcement measure is really going to work (although the reference to "A Bridge Too Far" is most ironic, as the film is also about a failed attempt).

As I cycled home last night, I pondered on how difficult these mysterious speed limit signs must be to read. I mean, on entry to Tower Bridge Approach there are two standard sized (ie. huge!) 20 MPH limit signs, a good 100 yards before the cameras. Then, in case you haven't spotted those signs, another one immediately before the bridge (smaller, this time) telling you "hey guys! we're in a 20 MPH zone here". What more do you require (apart from, I suppose, a visit to Dollond and Aitchison)?

Anyway, the prize for the bravest cyclist must go to the poster who cycles to work through the Rotherhithe tunnel. I take my hat off to you and your resilient lungs, sir. I once cycled through that tunnel and spent the next few hours coughing up black phlegm.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 27 October 2005 9.45am by Martin Underwood.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 3.19pm
I heard that there were cameras on the bridge but didn't believe it. I suppose if it is for wear and tear reasons then this makes some sense. I have been whizzing over quite happiliy on my m/c at 30mph+ for about 25 years and still do (no wear and tear issues on the road so I don't feel too bad). I assume the fact I haven't got a ticket yet means the cameras phograph the front of vehicles and cannot catch motor cycles...or am I just lucky?

Seperately, the state of the of the road coming up to the opening part of the bridge is absolutely disgusting, with deep ruts where cycles have to ride. These are incredably dangerous as they tend to through the rider (cycle or m/c) into the path of cars on a very narrow road. I see this in lots of places around London whereas 25 years ago this sort of rutting never ever occured. Is it just the much heavier lorries (is it 35 tons) we now have in the UK (and EU) doing this, or just poor roadbuilding?
Tuesday 1 November 2005 4.00pm
The Evening Standard has an article about these cameras today. Apparently they have raised 150000 since August. So it looks as though it is a money raising exercise as we suspected all along!
Wednesday 2 November 2005 8.23am
Alan, I think it was mainly you (not 'we') that suspected it was a money raising exercise!

If motorists aren't to be fined for breaking the law what other way should they be punished? Custodial sentances? Community service?
Wednesday 2 November 2005 1.45pm
... having their cars fitted with speed limiters?
having their fingers chopped off?
Forcing them to drive Ladas?

Wednesday 2 November 2005 1.59pm
Maybe you think we should all be hanged Jonathan! (from the bridge!)
Wednesday 2 November 2005 4.42pm
alan chapman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe you think we should all be hanged Jonathan!
> (from the bridge!)

Or maybe the Guillotine? I hear the old 'heads on pikes' method was a great dissuader!
Anonymous User
Wednesday 2 November 2005 5.17pm
Heads on pikes? Big ugly fishes swimming around with dead mens heads on?

How odd.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 19
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions