London SE1 community website

Cameras on Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 19
Wednesday 22 February 2006 10.58am
Martin, from what I understand those cameras are specifically designed for face recognition of people driving over the bridge for security purposes, similar to the other cameras covering the congestion zone. i believe the use as pseed cameras is secondary and probably used just to raise money.
Also I believe it is preferable for people to use their eyes to concentrate on the hazards of inner city driving rather than constantly scanning the side of the road to check what speed limit is currebtly in force.
Wednesday 22 February 2006 11.13am
Martin, in the majority of areas if the speed limit is to drop to 20MPH which is BELOW the average speed limit then they usually make them more catching to peoples eye to make them aware, e.g. Lower/Upper Thames st, if you drive down there leading up to this there is signage stating that it will be turning into 20mph zone in 500yrds the 250 yrds etc, then there is signs that flash up for those that are going too fast to slow down 20mph zone, as well as lots of normal size 20mph signs!

Now come back to tower bridge, on the approach coming over into the City there is no warning of any speed cameras and where they have managed to put a sign on a pole and on the road it's self, where these are placed is ridiculous, they are placed where there is most congestion, not only do we have to be aware of tour buses etc, pulling out of the road after tooley st but there are pedestrians and the road going into a single lane. I have seen that if you have them double decker buses or lorries of certain height coming out of there or a few cars in front of you both signs cant be seen. Martin maybe you are right and driving test have changed over the years but when I took my driving test they told me to be observant of the pedestrians and other vehicles pulling out in front of you in busy built up areas where the normal speed limit was 30mph.

Dont get me wrong I am all for conservation of Tower Bridge and had I known that this was a 20mph zone I would of kept to the limit ( I got caught last year and I am from up north and moved last year into bermondsey) if they had adequate signage before the tower surley this would prevent people speeding over the bridge, hence protecting it rather than having people being issued with tickets and points to make them aware?
Wednesday 22 February 2006 11.33am
I've been driving over the bridge for years and never noticed that it was 20mph until I read it on this site.
Wednesday 22 February 2006 12.55pm
Face recognition of rapidly moving objects? That technology is a fair few years away. Tower Bridge employs a system called ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition), which recognises car number plates.

Face recognition of static and slow-moving objects is slowly being researched, particularly with regard to checking biometric passports at airports, etc, but the technology is nowhere near tracking people driving cars, or even being able to track gangs of youths beating up old grannies.

I was saddened to see the witness boards on Tower Bridge for the assault that took place the other week, but I fail to see how technology could have prevented it from occurring.
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.03pm
[I never thought it would happen, but....] I wholeheartedly agree with Martin on a point of road safety.

It is no excuse to say you haven't read the sign. They are there. They are clear enough. If you miss them and go over the limit you get nicked and have no excuse for it. There hasn't been any change to the Highway Code. The normal limit in a built up area IS 30mph, but Tower Bridge is an exception to that norm.

We're not in America (yet). Which, among other things, IMHO means that we have to take responsibility for our own actions.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.20pm
IVANHOE......They are not clear enough, if they were honest citizens would not be speeding over the bridge and would of seen the signs, especially as the signs are placed where they can easily be missed by larger vehicles being in the way, belive me I have done my research for when I go to court, my job involves me being on the road 90% of the time and these will be my 1st 3 points, I have gone down the road taken pictures and moniterd this and it is quite obvious when you take the time to actually look at what happens with the traffic. You must be lucky to not be one of these drivers that have not seen the signs, but I would be interested are you aware of the speed limit due to articles in papers or maybe friends who have informed you of this? or where you made aware by the one sign at the beginning ( these new cameras work out you speed based on a average or you entering & exiting the bridge there is another smaller than normal 20mph sign further up the bridge but by the time this is seen you are probable already over the limit), because as far as I am concerned the sign as you enter the bridge is not adequate enough to inform people of the drop in the normal speed limit........that is the point if adequate signage is provide to drivers it WOULD prevent honest citizens going over the limit.
ADT
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.21pm
Melanie wrote:
An example for this would be that 'Harry' goes at 30MPH everywhere, he doesn't need to check as he knows he is always driving at the standard and correct speed

He doesn't need to check his speedometer to see if he's speeding, but he damn well should be checking the road to see if he's going at a safe speed, which of course is not always the speed limit. The speed limit isn't the correct speed, its the legal maximum. Drivers aren't supposed to rigidly drive at the maximum, they are supposed to be looking at the road and environs, and driving appropriately.

Irrelevant to Tower Bridge, as of course from a road safety point of view, 20mph is not generally necessary, but the 'good citizen' should really be obeying the road signs. I've never had any problem seeing them on Tower Bridge.

NB in this regard, I am not Melanie's 'good citizen', because most of my driving life is well above the national speed limit, and so depending on your stance on these issues my opinion might not carry much weight. I do nonetheless adhered to the speed limits in built up areas, as well as keeping my eye on the road instead of my speedometer (unlike 'Harry') as 20, 30, 40mph speed limits are I believe generally there for good reason. Motorway/duel carriageway limits on the other hand are in my opinion outdated.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.29pm
When do you lot drive over Tower Bridge? It is always bumper to bumper traffice when I go that way - no chance of even reaching 20 mph! I thought the signs were perfectly clear.
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.41pm
Hi Birdie, I know most of the time you go under 20mph but the one time I could hit the 30mph speed limit was a few months after I moved here, and I got done for going 30mph, have a drive down upper/lower thames st, then you will see what I mean by proper signage when an area drops below the national average in built up areas! They police have already admitted they dont put much signage on the bridge as the dont want to spoil the look of the bridge........my point is if thats the case make people aware prior to going over the bridge.
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.43pm
30mph is not any longer the almost universal limit in built up areas. There are now lots of 20mph areas, so you cannot make assumptions any more.
Current: 7 of 19
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions