London SE1 community website

Cameras on Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 19
Friday 3 March 2006 4.49pm
alan chapman wrote:
Rob
I'm very interested in your message. I have sent my details off to the police and will certainly go to court rather than opt to pay the b******s. Where did you get the information about the high court case?

I got the word from City of London Magistrates Court, The Justice Rooms, 1 Queen Victoria Street, EC4N 4XY tel 0207 332 1830

Basicaly they sent me a letter saying that my case which I was going to plead guilty to had been adjourned to enable the prosecution to send statements of evidence to me. No such evidence had arrived so my father who is dealing with it in my absence called them and thats what they said. I have noticed that a guy called Barry Walsh has posted on this thread that he is going to court over it so maybe it is because of him (good man!)

Cool surname name by the way!
Friday 3 March 2006 4.53pm
this can go two ways

1) you go to court, you get fined for speeding, but instead of the 60 fixed penalty fine you get up to 1000, won't be that high but will be higher than a fixed penalty

2) if the prosecution cannot bring any evidence to show you were speeding ( and many people don't know this ) ie no speed camera photos, verification the camera's ability to gauage movement at speed is correct then you can contest this under the Act of something in 1974 which cites that you cannot prosecute without evidence

hope it goes your way !
Friday 3 March 2006 4.57pm
Rob
Thanks for the info. Will see what happens to me!
Agree about the name!
Friday 3 March 2006 5.07pm
I wanted to contest it over the way it was done the signs are very high and small and being such a tourist busy place driving over the bridge requires drivers to be looking ahead and to the sides incase of hitting one of them, the notice even admitted that the cameras and signs weren't in the usual place and size so as to keep the area looking nice (well bless them it made me feel much better)

I knew about them having to give proof but the problem with contesting it is that they make it too costly in time and fines to make most people shut up and pay it's the new real form of Highway Robbery!
I dont think the time-distance cameras need calibration like the normal ones do (most of those aren't checked regularly enough so asking for calibration certificates usually does the job according to what I have heard)
Friday 3 March 2006 5.26pm
The notice states that "because of the need to preserve the nature and fabric of the Tower Bridge area and comply with English Heritage conditions, these cameras are mounted on a gantry and are not painted yellow".
That is a load of nonsense - the gantries are hideous and were only originally tolerated was because we were informed that it was for security reasons followwing on 9/11.
Yellow speed cameras, if they have to be installed, would be far less intrusive.
Again their comment about the sole purpose of the cameras is to prevent structural damage and preserve our English heritage is highly suspect and needs to be challenged in court. They must think we are absolute idiots! (which may indeed be the case but I do not like other people to assume it.)
Friday 3 March 2006 5.37pm
How does a camera that cant be seen stop a HGV doing 55mph crashing into the bridge????? Maybe they just want some nice photos of it happening for their album? Shutting the door after the horse has bolted springs to mind.

http://www.btinternet.com/~brentours/PC2003.htm is good for some light camera happy cops info! (doesn't do much to stop the impending fines though!)

I think we need to find out how many people have been done by these cameras and get some more help!
Friday 3 March 2006 5.48pm
I am just so proud to be British!! What a great government we have, guess we're just lucky their not corrupt money grabbing war mungering lying bastards aren't we!

I cant wait to get a qualification good enough to leave this miserable dump of a country and go and live in New Zealand (any kiwi chick's want to get hitched? Call me!)
Friday 3 March 2006 5.50pm
Dont go Rob. You can't leave me all alone to fight the good fight!
Monday 6 March 2006 4.12pm
A whole weekend and no offers of marriage! Oh well looks like I'll stay and fight! : )
Current: 9 of 19
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions