London SE1 community website

Thameslink 2000 @ Borough Market & Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 17
Thursday 9 November 2006 9.45am
There's a picture of the new market hall on the front page and page 7 of today's Southwark News. The Southwark News report says that it "has echoes of .. 'More London'" and I have to say I totally agree...
Thursday 9 November 2006 12.13pm
Sounds awful
Are any more of the replacement buildings not going to look like network rails visualisations ,or is that it,
Friday 10 November 2006 4.55pm
The proposed glazed market hall can now be seen here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2437

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 10 November 2006 5.11pm
"The inspector instead gave his backing to the alternative proposal for a glass and steel market hall on the site."

...he then headed off to have his eyes examined I hope!!!

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Friday 10 November 2006 5.35pm
to think i looked at buying a flat in that block thats to be demolished, i wish i had now just so i could refuse to sell.
Friday 10 November 2006 5.45pm
Heavens! How perfectly ghastly. What is it FOR this glass thingy? What are those letters floating around in it. Holy smoke, people can really louse things up with no difficulty at all.
Friday 10 November 2006 5.54pm
I'm sure it's all about angles and stuff like that but the Cathedral sure seems taller in the visualisation than it does in James' pic!
Friday 10 November 2006 6.55pm
I much prefer the existing building there, the glass thing just rips the character out of the area.
Friday 10 November 2006 8.19pm
The problem I have with this shiny Gray glass and steel approach isn't what can be judged from an architects air brushed visualisation , but from looking at buildings that have been built like the Gray glass building in st Catherine dock which glints in the sun light and domineers the area around the moat of the tower of London, in the most distracting way
And the latest addition to more London ,which is anything but respectful to the old building in the vicinity.
I also think its clear from looking at that visualisation that the view of the top of the cathedral is caused by the height being lower Rother than the transparency of the building. Add to this that as an over all approach to Borough high st littering the street with glass infill building s is the last thing it needs, and with the baby shard and shard of glass domineering that end of the high st ,the borough market glass hall will be about as far from beeing an unusual feature of the street as it is possible to get.

Its not so much market, more shopping mall architecture.
http://thameslink.members.beeb.net/page4.html
Friday 10 November 2006 10.51pm
I like the proposed new look. Bring it on :-)
Current: 10 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions