London SE1 community website

Thameslink 2000 @ Borough Market & Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 17
Saturday 11 November 2006 7.10am
I know that glass technology has come a long way, but I think this city is starting to get a bit TOO glassy. I hate to think of what will happen if there's any kind of terrorist attack. Well, at least there must be lots of work for window cleaners.
Saturday 11 November 2006 1.10pm
I think we'er ODing on glass and steel infill and general building in historic areas.
It's a CABE New Labour rut .
I Like the idea of the Market occupying the building on that site ,but that doesn't mean the building cant use any other materials .
And this new design doesn't alter one iota the impact of the viaduct on the market side.

As depicted here
http://thameslink.members.beeb.net/page4.html
Tuesday 14 November 2006 5.06pm
According to todyas evening standard Borough market has just won some sort of award for being basically fantastic.
Monday 23 July 2007 12.55pm
this may be of interest - particularly the line about only the north section being undertaken, which will 'avoid redevelopment around Borough Market and Southwark Cathedral. Can one believe at least something one reads in the papers?
Monday 23 July 2007 1.22pm
Reuters had a contradictory story on Friday which said that Blackfriars and London Bridge will be rebuilt.

http://www.reuters.com/article/tnBasicIndustries-SP/idUSL2065287820070720

I think we just have to wait and see what the announcement actually says.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 July 2007 5.08pm
It was my understanding that the Northern section would be completed before 2012 (thats the bit excluding the London Bridge area) with the Southern developments still going ahead but after 2012. This still means that there will be an increase in train paths in time for 2012.
Monday 23 July 2007 8.57pm
I was wondering why they didn't mention Borough market on the news.
Tuesday 24 July 2007 6.28pm
It seems to me that that by delaying the Borough market aspect of Themes link the government has been seen to be giving transport improvements the go ahead while the delay must leave the door open for
Possible revaluations of the Borough market phase by the time 2013 comes around.

I also think they should improve the design for Blackfriers station before 2009.

http://thameslink.members.beeb.net/page3.html
Thursday 26 July 2007 1.54pm
That's a bit sneaky they don't include the announcement about starting widening the viaduct through Borough market at the end of next year in the main announcement. So it doesn't feature in the news programmes.

Oh well at least it will be in keeping with the colour of the Floral hall.
Friday 27 July 2007 1.28pm
I would think that better transport for all of London residents is far more important than a niche market that provides a few yuppies with their dinner party food.
Current: 11 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions