London SE1 community website

Thameslink 2000 @ Borough Market & Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 17
Friday 27 July 2007 2.12pm
misskarenwalkerse1 wrote:
I would think that better transport for all of London residents is far more important than a niche market that provides a few yuppies with their dinner party food.

Ah, but are they London Residents? They are certainly not local, and they're merely passing through (or at least above) my local market...and btw, I'm hardly a yuppie.
Friday 27 July 2007 2.20pm
I would think that better transport for all of London residents is far more important than a niche market that provides a few yuppies with their dinner party food.

I tend to agree with the sentiment (that the major transport infrastructure improvement is on Balance more important than the heritage we could lose) though I wouldnt put it in those terms (it's not about yuppies).

But I'm not at all sure that you're getting a transport project that will benefit London residents. It will mainly benefit long-distance commuters living far from London. The alternative, through Elephant and Castle, seemed to offer much greater potential improvements to transport for Londoners (and Londoners living in an area that is not well served by public transport right now too).
Friday 27 July 2007 4.08pm
That's the sort of vindictive attitude that doesn't do anyone any good
Saturday 28 July 2007 9.49am
JayBee wrote:

Ah, but are they London Residents? They are certainly not local, and they're merely passing through (or at least above) my local market...and btw, I'm hardly a yuppie.

It doesn't matter whether they are 'London residents' or not - if they work/shop/go out in the London Bridge/ The City/ Farrindgon areas then their transport needs to be catered for too. Besides, I'd imagine that the majority of people who do live locally use the horribly outdated London Bridge station and it's trains that crawl (due to insufficient track capacity) to Charing Cross/Blackfriars/Kings Cross/St Pancras.

Borough Market is going to be altered (not destroyed)to allow the new tracks; it's been altered beyond recognition in the last 5 years already but I didn't see the protests then...and don't forget that the current scheme is fully backed by the Borough Market Trustees
Saturday 28 July 2007 10.56am
Its been renovated over the past five years,

none of the building around it have been demolished.

As for the trustees of the market, they run the market that occupies the site ,

they don't have a monopoly on Opinion about the importance of the buildings.
Saturday 28 July 2007 11.10am
mickysalt wrote:
Its been renovated over the past five years,
none of the building around it have been demolished.

As for the trustees of the market, they run the market that occupies the site ,

they don't have a monopoly on Opinion about the importance of the buildings.

So you're more concerned about the buildings than the market itself? Fair enough, but in my opinion the buildings which will be altered/demolished are in no way outstanding or unique examples of the era, they tend to be rather generic and unremarkable.
Saturday 28 July 2007 11.50am
Jonathan K wrote:
mickysalt wrote:

So you're more concerned about the buildings than the market itself? .

I didn't say that .I just said the trustees of the market don't have got a monopoly on opinion.

The buildings that are there provide a secluded atmospheric enclave protected from borough high st
With a historic ambiance ,That people really like.
Sunday 29 July 2007 11.07am
...can someone remind me what is wrong with the Elephant & Castle option?
Monday 30 July 2007 8.53pm
JayBee wrote:
...can someone remind me what is wrong with the Elephant & Castle option?

I dont think it was looked at seriously this time 'round.

The original inquiry rejected it (I think) because of the expense of the engineering work it would require at Herne Hill. It's been a long time since I read the report though so I may have got that a bit wrong. There was the suggestion that the ending of Eurostar services from Waterloo might have had some impact here but again I'm unsure that this was ever looked at in great detail.
Monday 30 July 2007 10.11pm
mickysalt wrote:
That's the sort of vindictive attitude that doesn't do anyone any good
Ironic too since, one of the problems the govt is only now starting to deal with is the "food deserts", ie dreary supermarkets full of over-processed & packaged food, which pervade lower income areas.
Current: 12 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions