London SE1 community website

Thameslink 2000 @ Borough Market & Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Current: 17 of 17
Wednesday 19 November 2008 5.46pm
It's not so much that tourists are the problem, but that 'regeneration projects' usually have an eye toward them in their plans, which thereby doesn't leave room for local interest/concern and as a result we end up with 'snazzy' architecture with little bite.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 5.55pm
I daresay you're right, Tolstoy, but I find it strange that making something look like a supermarket would be deemed a good way of seducing tourists. Most tourists I encounter seem to like London's eccentric little byways, rather than wanting the whole place to look like a cross between Starbucks and a conservatory.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 7.51pm
SOMEbody must be in favour of g&s, else the many developers who build flats around here wouldn't use it.

Own up!
Wednesday 19 November 2008 8.54pm
Tolstoy wrote:
It's not so much that tourists are the problem, but that 'regeneration projects' usually have an eye toward them in their plans, which thereby doesn't leave room for local interest/concern and as a result we end up with 'snazzy' architecture with little bite.

I don't think the office blocks at Spitefields have anything to do with tourism.
When I was on a train from Newcastle not long ago the free magazine they have on the train slaged the whole place of as a tourist disaster area.

Which is why that sort of appalling redevelopment has to be avoided.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 9.01pm
personally i dont find spitalfields offensive...took my brother from sydney there strolled around had coffee, lunch etc checked out the old church...quite pleasant actually and from memory nicer than the rather shabby place it was before
Wednesday 19 November 2008 9.08pm
boroughpaul wrote:
personally i dont find spitalfields offensive

Spitalfield isn't offensive its an attractive area. it's the office blocks that are crap

And its also been said many time before that the fact that a building was a bit shabby isn't a reason to demolish it.

otherwise places like St Pancras station would have been demolished
Wednesday 14 January 2009 2.38pm
Looking at the news about the Wheatsheaf ,they have started Thames link already , does that mean they will be demolishing Green Dragon court soon , I think a lot of visitors to the market will be shocked when they see that happen., I also think they should reconsider some of the designs for replacement buildings before they go any further.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Current: 17 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions