London SE1 community website

Thameslink 2000 @ Borough Market & Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 17
Tuesday 1 November 2005 9.01am
The total journey time reduction is indeed 40 minutes and this is calculated form the time that there was no high speed link at all. The current travel time is 2.35 hrs because the CTRL section 1 is completed. The most complicated and expensive part of the CTRL construction is actually form Ebbsfleet to St Pancras, including building a tunnel in centralk London! We are thus spending millions and millions into another 15 minutes journey time reduction which is totally unjustified in the light of what need to invest in other public transportation developments.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 9.07am
Or you could look at the CTRL as the long overdue completion of what got stuffed up in the 1980s and early 1990s. Of course, the French did it the right way around: first build your high speed rail link, then revamp your station. We now (almost) have the high speed rail link, but also have a redundant station. That's the really criminal waste of money, not completing the link.

Tuesday 1 November 2005 9.43am
I we had not completed the link, but kept it the way it is now (2.35 hrs) Waterloo would not have been redundant. It just seems so wrong.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 12.23pm
But the existing route also takes away a lot of commuter rail capacity from Victoria down into Kent. The new route is not just about speed of getting to Brussels and Paris, but also about releasing capacity for more commuter trains into and out of London.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 12.28pm
Andrew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But the existing route also takes away a lot of
> commuter rail capacity from Victoria down into
> Kent. The new route is not just about speed of
> getting to Brussels and Paris, but also about
> releasing capacity for more commuter trains into
> and out of London.

It could even have freed up capacity through Herne Hill station for ... Thameslink 2000 (the Elephant and Castle alternative)!
Tuesday 1 November 2005 1.05pm
Anyone who has the time and inclination can hear the closing submissions for the Inquiry on the 7th of November [moved from the 4th] at Bankside House, Sumner Street SE1 [behind Tate Modern].
Wednesday 2 November 2005 10.19am
Listing to some of the people on this board you would think the underground railway was a radical departure ,and not the primary means of transpiration in all majer citys in the world.
Monday 7 November 2005 12.01am
Ah thats good

I cant make it to the inquiry, but I did get my comments sent of the the DODP
I sent them to an inquiry e-mail address as well but I don't know whether it was the right person.

Monday 7 November 2005 10.25pm
Here are the comments what I wrote.

Dear John Prescot
I am concerned about the implications for Tooley street ,Borough market and Blackfriars bridge
If thameslink 2000 goes ahead.

TOOLEY ST
The architectural oddity that is the building that houses the Britain at war museum,provides the defining image of Tooley street.
Its removal will diminish the architectural fervor of the area and reduce its appeal as a tourist destination.

The retention of such an important part of a street scape should be at the hart of any regeneration plan for the area.

BLACK FRIARS STATION
The new black friars station is totally inappropriate for its location appearing just beneath St. Paul's cathedral in the world famous view from the south bank and waterloo Bridge.
There is no reason why this building hasn't been designed to fit in with this view,as the building that stand there now does other than architectural recalcitrance.

Cabe think the new station should be a land mark building .

This is misguided as the close proximity to a world famous cathedral of this site is a totally inappropriate place for a bold or independent statement . .
The best service to the area and London as a whole a building on that site can do is remain as subliminal as possible .
That may not be what architects like designing but architecture isn't for architects its for the city they are serving.

There is a place for new landmark and bold statements in London but that isn't it.

Also network rails visualizations are against an unrealistically dark blue sky in an attempt to fabricate the impression that the blue station building look like it matches something.

Its not the sky this building should be matching it is the building around it.

BLACK FRIARS BRIDGE
The covered Bridge will be an unwelcome and very banal intrusion on the river .

BOROUGH MARKET
Wedging a transport link in-between listed buildings in what is now a world class market and an important asset for London if not the whole country will leave little if any room for future expansion and clearly isn't a sensible option for the future of London transport or Borough Market.

The disruption to this world famous market during construction is totally unnecessary .
As routes through the Elephant and Castle are a less destructive option and better for London.

The visualizations for Green Dragon court don't show clearly what the Borough market side of the building will look like
As it is the Borough market side of green dragon court which is the popular and charicterful destination and important part of Borough market .this is what should have been given priority attention after the last inquiry ,

Tuesday 8 November 2005 10.35am
Some interesting comments on the Thameslink plans in this article from last week's Guardian.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,9830,1605568,00.html

I believe Professor Tyler was giving evidence for of the local objector groups.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions