London SE1 community website

Thameslink 2000 @ Borough Market & Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 17
Friday 16 December 2005 11.23am
I forgot to mention they also said that Thames links name would be changing.
They obviously know it has negative connotations.

http://thameslink.members.beeb.net/page4.html
Wednesday 18 October 2006 1.56pm
Sad news about the approval of this scheme. If it gets funding the BM area will change radically, but not for the better [IMO]. The statement that "Londoners need these improvements now" by the London Travelwatch Chairman is mis-leading because the major benefit is targeted at those who live outside London and commute into the city from the south east. Network Rails' calculations relating to the improvements in capacity and travel times did not stand up to close scrutiny at the enquiry, but what do they care - this will not be apparent for years, by which time the senior management involved in this scheme will have departed. Londoners, particularly those living in the areas south of the Borough, DO need an improved rail service and I believe this is an opportunity lost to build something of real benefit to this area of south London.
Wednesday 18 October 2006 5.22pm
Story now updated with more reaction from local politicians.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 18 October 2006 8.03pm
All my websites were deleted by the bbc the other week including my Thames link one

How convenient. For network rail. I do still have the web sight on a hard drive somewhere that shows the shocking impact on Borough Market so I will upload it again.

As for this decision I have to agree that the main beneficiaries are the people that can afford to commute from Brighton to London. Rother the people of se1,
I also think it's a case of desperation on the part of new labour ,wanting to be seen to be doing something regardless of whether it is actually the best solution. In the long run.
Wednesday 18 October 2006 8.13pm
It is shocking, that the solution to upgrade the Elephant branch of the line instead has not become more viable now with all the rest of the regeneration there. Seems like somebody somewhere has just been determined to push this through and squash the public opposition. Let's hope they will not get the funding for it - at the same time I am worried that they will find the money to demolish all the buildings and then nothing else will happen.
Wednesday 18 October 2006 9.55pm
If anyone wants to see the likely effect of the proposals on the area, this is the best place to look - http://www.sabmac.co.uk/affected.htm
Wednesday 18 October 2006 10.27pm
But if one wanted to travel from Brighton to London this was already possible on the Thameslink? It does stop at London Bridge, so forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the advantage of this?

I am certianly not agains modernisation in any shape or form, but this seems to be a bit strange?
Wednesday 18 October 2006 10.32pm
The problem is capacity. The junction at Borough Market is a bottleneck which restricts the number of trains which can run via London Bridge station, both to/from Charing Cross and via Blackfriars to destinations north of London.

At Borough Market the line is currently double track (ie one eastbound, one westbound) which when you consider the number of rush hour trains in and out of Charing Cross alone is a real constraint.

Whether the Thameslink proposals deal with this capacity problem in an appropriate and sensitive way, is, of course, another matter.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 19 October 2006 12.10am
nelson_ wrote:
It is shocking, that the solution to upgrade the Elephant branch of the line instead has not become more viable now with all the rest of the regeneration there. Seems like somebody somewhere has just been determined to push this through and squash the public opposition.

One of the few registered objectors that was actively pushing for an upgrade to the route via Elephant was LB Lambeth (because the plans do nothing to improve Thameslink services places in the south of the Borough and could actually reduce the number of direct trains from these locations to north of Blackfriars).

However, Network Rail cunningly claimed that to route the services by that route they would have to build a massive flyover or tunnel a flyunder(?) between Tulse Hill and Herne Hill.

In the run up to this year's local elections, I don't think anyone in Lambeth was willing to continue advocating this, so they didn't plough any more money into their own rail consultants.

Of course since then, it has been announced that Waterloo International is closing, which means that all the Eurostar train paths which conflicted with Thameslink services through Hern
Thursday 19 October 2006 12.16am
nelson_ wrote:
It is shocking, that the solution to upgrade the Elephant branch of the line instead has not become more viable now with all the rest of the regeneration there. Seems like somebody somewhere has just been determined to push this through and squash the public opposition.

One of the few registered objectors that was actively pushing for an upgrade to the route via Elephant was LB Lambeth (because the Thameslink 2000 plans do nothing to improve Thameslink services to places in the south of Lambeth and Southwark - and could actually reduce the number of direct trains from these locations to north of Blackfriars).

However, Network Rail cunningly put together an indicative engineering study which claimed that to route the services by that route they would need to build a massive flyover or tunnel a flyunder(?) between Tulse Hill and Herne Hill requiring lots of houses in that area to have swathes cut off their gardens and suffer years of disruption.

I don't think any politician in Lambeth was willing to continue advocating this, so the Borough didn't plough any more money into their own rail consultants to work up the scheme at the public enquiry.

Of course since then, it has been announced that Waterloo International is closing, which means that all the Eurostar train paths which conflicted with Thameslink services through Herne Hill can be surrendered.

Whether any of this was taken into account by the inspector is another matter?
Current: 7 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions