London SE1 community website

Thameslink 2000 @ Borough Market & Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 17
Thursday 19 October 2006 10.23am
I've been interested in the impact of the change in Eurostar route on the decision as well. I didn't get to follow the hearing as it proceeded though so I don't know to what extent they re-examined the viability of the Elephant / Herne Hill option - from a vague memory of reading the papers I get the feeling not very seriously. It would seem to be a terrible missed opportunity for south London. I think the decision that an improved service was needed for places like Cambridge and Brighton rather than Camberwell and Elephant came first and the plans followed from that. I think the Elephant option would have been much more preferable but I'm hardly impartial.
Thursday 19 October 2006 10.33am
Does anybody know what the references to the 'Bermondsey dive under' are? Where will this be?
Thursday 19 October 2006 11.52am
the link to the Borough market page show good photo's but the maps appear to be from the original 'Thameslink 2000' scheme, and the dates on the maps are 1997.

Surely the plans will have changed since then!!
Thursday 19 October 2006 12.54pm
No, they haven't. This 'battle' has been going on over a very long time.

And don't call me surely, I am Spartacus.
Thursday 19 October 2006 12.54pm
I think in some places the plans for the construction have changed. But my understanding is that, as regards Borough market, the new work will still run, like a huge concrete stake, straight through the heart of the market.

Even if it might be possible to move some of the stalls out of the way - after seven years of heavy construction driving a new high level viaduct through the area, there won't be a single customer left.

Well, it was nice while we had it. :o(

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Thursday 19 October 2006 1.00pm
But...I am Spartacus!

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Thursday 19 October 2006 1.07pm
red_bus wrote:

Even if it might be possible to move some of the stalls out of the way - after seven years of heavy construction driving a new high level viaduct through the area, there won't be a single customer left.

I can't see how the market will survive with the amount of works going on. Would you want to go to a market in the middle of a building site with all the noise and dust ?

The E&C option could have coincided with re-opening stations at Camberwell and Walworth to help regenerate those areas as well as helping to support the regeneration of the E&C area. A very short sighted decision IMO.
Thursday 19 October 2006 2.26pm
martinr wrote:
A very short sighted decision IMO.

Tha would be the entire story of British transportation "strategy" in a nutshell, wouldn't it? ;-)
Thursday 19 October 2006 4.16pm
red_bus wrote:
I think in some places the plans for the construction have changed. But my understanding is that, as regards Borough market, the new work will still run, like a huge concrete stake, straight through the heart of the market.

Well, it was nice while we had it. :o(

http://thameslink.members.beeb.net/page4.html
Thursday 19 October 2006 5.18pm
Is there anyone anywhere among the Powers that Be with ANY sense or sensitivity? What on earth is the point of ruining an historic site, an increasing tourist trap, (hence a money spinner) when the E&C is ANYWAY being demolished and rebuilt? It beggars belief. Is there not one single sane person to talk to?
Surely there is. Spartacus there is.
Current: 8 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions