London SE1 community website

Home contents insurance recomendations?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 23 October 2005 5.51pm

I live in becket house, tabard st & have the unenviable task of sorting out home contents insurance. I am currently renting from southwark council. I've checked out a few websites but the information overload is a mindblowing! Think I may try This is the first time I'm getting insurance so any help would be welcomed. Does anyone know how I can find out when Becket house was built? Many thanx...
Sunday 23 October 2005 9.38pm
If you're only buying home contents insurance you don't need to know when the place was built. Trust me! Suggest you ring Direct Line - they're usually pretty competitive.
Monday 24 October 2005 8.47am
If you're renting, Endsleigh are pretty good as well.

Monday 24 October 2005 2.57pm
Since I moved to SE1 3 years ago I've used Tesco & then Privelege as I got a discount for having my car insurance with them. Suggest you try 2 or 3 0800 or 0845 numbers from yellow pages as there can be a considerable difference in cost.
Tuesday 25 October 2005 3.50pm
I recently renewed my buildings insurance on the phone.When asked what my current premium was I answered truthfully,the quote they gave was about 5 less.The next Co that I tried asked the same question,I said "Do you mind if I don't answer that question?" The guy said OK,and went ahead with the quote which was nearly 50 cheaper than the first.
Wednesday 26 October 2005 2.05am
Thanks guys,

This is the first time I've actually used this forum & it's nice to actually feel a sense of community in London. I moved to london about 8 years ago & have lived in this area for about 6 years. Thanx for all your help I'll post the results when I get a chance. Keep em coming.

p.s. does anybody know of any funding available to local residents to SE1? I'm a musician but being an individual doesn't seem to attract any help these days.
Wednesday 26 October 2005 12.18pm
Depends what you want your funding for - if you set something up for the community, like perhaps music workshops, you may stand a chance, but you would have to get all the plans ready - like a proper business plan with every avenue covered and be prepared to do extensive book keeping!!
Wednesday 2 November 2005 8.08pm
it's also worth trying CIS (the Co-op insurance) for home contents. Being the Co-op they're actually quite good at paying up, rather than trying to avoid paying a claim

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions