London SE1 community website

Roast @ Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Monday 21 November 2005 7.46am
We went to Roast last week for supper. It was, all in all, an 'ok' experience but nothing more than that. The menu looks more interesting than it tastes, the restaurants looks more attractive than it is and the staff seem friendlier than they really are. It wasn't bad but certainly not great either.

We paid 110 for two.

Yesterday we went to the Royal Oak for a good roast and a divine Sherry Trifle. Much better and much friendlier service and an authentic decor. Highly recommended.

We paid 22 for two.
Monday 21 November 2005 11.52am
Had lunch at the Royal Oak as well yesterday and agree with the comment re the sherry trifle. Apparently the bread & butter pudding was rather good as well.

My only expereince of Roast to date has been the beer and a few of the cocktails. Not cheap, but all good!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 November 2005 11.53am by janefs.
Monday 21 November 2005 11.57am
Am I the only one NOT to have had lunch at The Oak yesterday?

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Monday 21 November 2005 12.28pm
Yes.
Monday 21 November 2005 2.10pm
I love that place.
Monday 21 November 2005 2.17pm
I'm very disappointed to read all this. The night I went, in the first week, the service was pretty scrappy, (though friendly) but the food was delicious. No excuse for continued bad service -- and it's death in this internet age.
Monday 21 November 2005 2.58pm
We also werent at the Oak yesterday, how come no one noticed?
Monday 21 November 2005 4.42pm
So there, Ivanhoe. You wern't on your own in not going.
Monday 21 November 2005 5.27pm
It's scant consolation Jane.

I was in Brighton, watching Mrs I shop, and to top it all the alleged best cider pub in Brighton was shut for the day while they resanded the floorboards.

As we were walking back near the Oak from London Bridge, at about 6pm, neither of us fancying the prospect of cooking, we both said how nice it would be if only the Oak was open and we could let them cook for us.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 21 November 2005 5.50pm
Good grief - Mrs R and I were also not in The Royal Oak for lunch yesterday, and also we were in Brighton.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions