London SE1 community website

Roast @ Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Monday 21 November 2005 6.02pm
It would have made me jump if I'd got a tap on the shoulder, walking round Brighton, and it was you.

Was the tea dance any good?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 9 December 2005 4.57pm
I just called Roast to enquire about lunch on Christmas Day - am rapidly losing enthusiasm to buy everything and remain sober enough to cook it. Apparently, they have no idea what will be on the menu that day and could not quote me a price - "average spend is 50 a head." I was expecting there to be a set menu they could email me - was I expecting too much??
Friday 9 December 2005 5.14pm
That's insane, as they sent a friend of mine their Winter Newsletter which details a Christmas lunch. They obviously need to train their staff.

Winter Newsletter

Recently opened in a stunning glass building in Borough Market, Roast is an exciting new restaurant and bar dedicated to the best of British cooking using the finest seasonal produce.

Breakfast

From Monday to Saturday Roast opens from 7 to 10am for breakfast. From fresh fruits through to boiled eggs and marmite soldiers and The Full Borough, we have a menu that suits how you would like to start the day.

Christmas Day Lunch

Champagne and nibbles, Diver Caught Scallops with Buttered Leeks and Pickled Rock Samphire, Pressed Game with Port and Cranberry Chutney, Gressingham Goose, Roast 28 Day Aged Scotch Rib of Beef with Yorkshire - just a few of the delights on Roasts Christmas Day menu to tempt you away from the stove this Christmas. (75.00 per person)

Bar Comfort Food

Great bar snacks are available from midday onwards and the choice is diverse: try a glass of Traquair House Ale with Hot Scotch Eggs and Coronation Sauce, or Chips and Curry Sauce, or how about Krug and Oysters for 24.00 while you watch the hustle and bustle of the market below? The cocktail list is a masterpiece: look out for Jammy Jim - Gosling's gold rum with rhubarb and ginger jam with apple and rhubarb juice; 1749 Appleade - Appleton's white rum with organic cider, sugar and fresh lemon juice or Taste of the Highlands - Graffiti Scottish vodka muddled with lavender, violet licquer, honey and a dash of Scotch whiskey.

Dining at Roast

Menus change each day for lunch and dinner to make the most of market availability but dishes likely to make regular appearances include Grilled Cornish pilchards with watercress salad, Boiled Herdwick mutton shank with caper sauce and a pudding of a Pot of lemon curd with shortbread.

Roast, The Floral Hall, Stone Street, Borough Market, London SE1 1TL

www.roast-restaurant.com [email protected]

020 7940 1300

Friday 9 December 2005 5.20pm
Samuel

Thanks for that - have just sent yet another email - I may pop in on sunday just to find out exactly what is going on!
Friday 9 December 2005 10.07pm
Understatement of the year, right there!

Samuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They obviously need to train their staff.

Saturday 10 December 2005 12.34am
I wouldn't give Roast another thought Katy. With the poor publicity they've had one would think they would by now be dotting their i's and crossing their t's ... if after the recent flood of bad reviews the management can't get things right then who knows what you'll end up with on your plate by Dec 25th.
Sunday 11 December 2005 7.15pm
Another roasting for Roast, this time from Jay Rayner in The Observer.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,1663838,00.html
Monday 12 December 2005 11.01am
i am now worried about roast. does anyone know of anywhere else locally that is open on christmas day and still has availability?
Monday 12 December 2005 11.11am
According to Time Out, both Ev and [url=/restaurants/view.php?venueid=44]Le Pont de la Tour[/url] are also open on Christmas Day.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 December 2005 3.00pm
Gosh, anyone who can afford Pont de la Tour, let me know, I want to meet them.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions