London SE1 community website

Hairdresser?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Saturday 3 June 2006 10.17am
Another thumbs up for Malishi from me! Went there this morning for the first time and was really impressed. Polite, friendly and laid-back. No rush and decent hair cut at a reasonable price. Masa Honda cut my hair and I'll be going back again soon.
Monday 5 June 2006 5.56pm
Try Gossip in Marshalsea Road

Tony is a great hairdresser for both men & women !! 0207 089 9333
Saturday 10 June 2006 10.39am
And a thumbs up for Malishi from me as well. I went there yesterday for the first time, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The ambience in the salon is very relaxing, and the service is excellent. Takashi Yamanaka cut my hair; he was polite and friendly, and cut my hair brilliantly.

I'll definitely be recommending them to my friends.
Wednesday 14 June 2006 4.06pm
I agree with Barbara E - Gossip on Marshalsea Road has my vote!
Tuesday 5 September 2006 2.22pm
Warning!

I went to The Works on Walworth Road and they burnt my scalp.
I'd been before and a girl called Adile did my hair very competently.
I returned and as she was on holiday I agreed to let someone else colour it.
I'm not going into how big a nightmare it was but had I not been going on holiday the next day, I would have gone to the minor injuries unit at Guy's Hospital and asked them to sort me out and take photos for legal action.

Typical reaction of staff (inc. the manager) was "nothings happening, this is not a big deal". It was even suggested to me that the reason their first hair colourant didn't work effectively was that it depends on a woman's hormones how easily her hair changes colour, and the hairdresser can't always tell what they should use. Seriously.

Not recommended.
Saturday 6 January 2007 3.38pm
Malishi is really great. After reading this thread I went there for the first time today. My last haircut (somewhere else I was trying for the first time) was a total disaster so I was a bit nervous, I have long uncontrollable curly hair and have found not every hairdresser can cut it well. I will definitely go back to Malishi, Mariko was really polite and friendly, cut and styled my hair really well, gave me a lovely head massage, the shop is nice and calm, the music is chilled out and the prices are reasonable for the service you get. I really recommend it, I have no connection with them etc
Thursday 1 March 2007 10.25am
I've just had my haircut at the Lounge on Jamaica road, and was really pleased with it. It's just been refitted, so looks really nice inside, and the people were nice and friendly. The girl that cut my hair wasn't that chatty, (I think she was just tired!) but she really listened to what I wanted. They made sure I was happy with everything (offers of wine, tea etc...) and the owner (I think) came and had a chat with me, which I thought was really nice. I found it through yell.com, and their website has a voucher for 10 off your first visit, but even without it's only about 24 for a cut (long hair)with a stylist.
Thursday 8 March 2007 9.18pm
I have been going to Tracey at Circulo Hairdressing for over a year and I am not surprised she is fully booked - she is very good. Even if I could not see Tracey I would still go to Circulo though. All of the staff are friendly and the coffee is good. When my long haired son comes up to town I take him to one of the other stylists (who still have appointments available) and they have given him and excellent cut.
Friday 9 March 2007 12.38pm
Just had the most extraordinary experience - for years I went to Savanna's in Blackfriars Rd but they closed recently (couldn't pay the exhorbitant rates, I understand) so tried to get an appointment for today at Gossips as it had been recommended on here. They couldn't fit me in today so I went to The Cut Studio on Waterloo Rd.

It's tiny and was very busy. Everyone working there and all the clientele were Chinese except one elderly lady who was having a pedicure in the middle of the salon. I was bustled to a wash basin with barely a greeting and treated to the most divine wash I'd ever experienced. The young lad took about 15 minutes to carefully shampoo (twice), condition and massage my scalp. "Great", I thought, "I'm in for a treat here"

Oh how wrong I was! As soon as the wash was done, I was ushered to a chair and asked in very broken English what I wanted. I explained, succinctly and clearly. Hoping he understood, I closed my eyes as I don't like to chat whilst having my hair done. The chap seemed to be chopping away somewhat arbitrarily, not using clips and stuff that is normally what happens. By this time, I didn't dare open my eyes! After about five minutes, he appeared to have finished cutting and announced, "Today I will blow-dry it straight." My hair is naturally curly and I have a long face which is why I never have it straight.

I seemed to be pole-axed by this point and decided just to see what happened. No products were applied (perhaps a good thing) and I now appear to have a standard Chinese mens' haircut - weird.

But the good thing is it only cost 20 although they did charge me 40p for paying with a debit card.

Anyone else been there?

Excuse me while I go and shower and attempt to resurrect my natural occidental appearance!

You've got to laugh...
Thursday 29 March 2007 8.42am
Does anyone have any recommendations of hair dressers which have recently opened, to add to the above list?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions