London SE1 community website

Tree Vandals- shock horror!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Sunday 11 December 2005 7.26pm
Oh, I forgot to say! A lot of tree-felling and dodgy minor development happens without planning permission, and the Council don't find out about it because our Enforcement team is even more short-staffed than the rest of the department. We wish it weren't so, believe me.
Monday 12 December 2005 8.12am
Well, we'll be extra vigilant! At this time of year the trees dont really "show up" and it would be easy to fell them and for people not to notice. In particular, the trees in our car park which are relatively young (about seven years) look fairly inconspicuous just now. But last summer they FINALLY looked like trees, gave shade and greenery to the space between our building and the railway opposite the Coronet. This coordinated nicely with the green patch on the OTHER side which belongs to the tall bulding opposite. DONT let anyone do away with green spaces any more.
Monday 12 December 2005 5.22pm
Hi Bel,

Thanks for your really useful posting, and honesty. I've checked the Southwark TPO (Tree Protection Order) list using the link you gave and the tree's in question on newington causeway are not listed, so I've emailed environment@southwark.gov.uk requesting that they be considered for TPOs. I've also cc'd:
Southwark Living Streets http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/southwark
and Trees for London http://www.treesforlondon.org.uk/
Who both have a stake in this.

It's a real shame the council can't attract more local permanent Planning Officer's especially with so much interesting development across the Borough and history. It sounds much like the NHS where there is also a lot of locum staff on high pay, however there they've got an incentive to become permanent as only then do they get training and progress to higher grades.

best regards

Kit
(MCH Resident)

Monday 12 December 2005 6.03pm
If Southwark gave them somewhere a bit nicer to have their office than the Aylesbury Estate, it might help.
Monday 12 December 2005 7.04pm
The Unladylike Ms. Jo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Southwark gave them somewhere a bit nicer to
> have their office than the Aylesbury Estate, it
> might help.

Ha, TELL me about it! Moving there in the early 1990s was supposed to be an act of prudence to save taxpayers' money, but it's completely backfired.

Happily, the powers that be have *finally* accepted the need to move to more suitable premises (and besides, the Aylesbury's being demolished) so a decision will be made as to where we're moving next Spring. No-one will miss working in Chiltern House, believe me...
Wednesday 14 December 2005 3.06pm
Finally had a response- a letter from Annnn Lippit, Interim head of Development and Building Control saying thanks for your email, we cannot enter into any further correspondence and we'll let you know what happens.
PJ
Friday 16 December 2005 9.03am
I totally oppose this environmental vandalism. Is there a petition that I could sign?
Sunday 18 December 2005 12.44pm
I was looking out the window this morning and musing on how better the view is with greenery.
Plant more trees I say.

Monday 19 December 2005 2.13pm
Hi

I have read all the posts so far and I'd like to lend my support to tree preservation but I'm a bit confused.

Are TWO seperate applications being discussed here?

a) the felling of 18 trees on the New Kent Road opposite the Coronet cinema to make way for new block and

b) the felling of 5 trees at the top of Newington Causeway, where the final bus shelter dbefore the E&C roundabout is to make a space for a m"marketing suite" and car parking spaces

I spoke to the council today and they say that 05 AP 1845 ( the 5 trees at the top of Newington Causeway) is misleading and no tree felling is intended but it does explicitly include felling in the application

easyrecall

Monday 19 December 2005 11.33pm
The best way to find out what any planning application involves is to go and look at the plans - any member of the public can do this, and you don't need to make an appointment. Just go to reception at Chiltern House any time between 10am and 4pm with the reference number of the planning application you want to look at, and the file will be fetched for you there and then. If it's an older application that's already been decided, you'll need to ring up and book it three days in advance.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions