London SE1 community website

Racial Equality at the E&C

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 22 December 2005 6.29pm
My point is that its for the people who feel slighted or discriminated or excluded, to judge. Not for you sitting pretty in power. And considering that you claim to not even know about the Peckham incident, that doesn't exacly enhacing your credibity to assess existence of racism in the council.

As you mentoned yourself racism is not an imaginary issue, its real - and it is about discrimation and power, not message board pronouncements which purport to prove a negative. Statements like "there is no racism" or "I haven't seen any racism" , do not consitute in-depth analysis or the work necesary to eradicate racism if it exists.

I'm just pointing out the things I have heard from talking to various people on the other side of the fence from you - I have no personal stake in it. So indeed you are part of this regeneration effort, I encourage you to go out and deal with the pepple and the problems - rather than throw up feel-good statements here.

jackie rokotnitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I mean I have never
> seen any sign of discrimination in any of my
> contacts within the E&C Project, as I say,
> quite the opposite. And it makes my blood boil
> when people LOOK for racism where there is none.

Thursday 22 December 2005 6.41pm
Osamede - I am not in power any where! and I was asking you sincerely as a human being about bullying of a vulnerable section of the community..
Thursday 22 December 2005 7.01pm
Regarding feeling steam-rollered and excluded from decision-making about regeneration, I have spoken to large numbers of people of ALL SORTS of ethnic origins who feel excluded. It seem to be an intrinsic element of regeneration! It may be that some BME people are complaining about being excluded, but are they MORE excluded than everyone else?
Thursday 22 December 2005 7.17pm
Jan - That is something I head from a coupe of black people. It may well be that the council is inept and that it just so happens that the pensioners affected are black. Could also be that its because of race they are not seen as people to be careful about. I dont know. If you are interested get out and talk to them and find out...

Lady Jo - that is quite possible. But it is not really any better if its the case. Regeneration is supposed to be FOR the community benefit, it shouldn't be something that happens TO the community for th benefit of external parties. So if there are people being trampled - whatever their ethnicity - that doesn't seem to me to be a thing that we should dismiss and accept about regeneration. It is being done with local council money after all...

In any case, what I did hear from the people I spoke with (some BME and others not ,in fact) was that they felt more affected and in a way that could be interpreted as violations of the CRE.

This is very detailed stuff - and its about real life effects and perceptions of real people - and that is really why the council should be out there dealing with them and not posting stuff here. That leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. Racism is not about PR, its about interaction between people....
Friday 23 December 2005 12.14am
Can I just check - is Elephant Links part of Southwark Council or not?
Friday 23 December 2005 12.27am
Elephant Links is the SRB-funded body:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/RegenerationSection/elephant/elephantlinks.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions