London SE1 community website

Extension of C10 bus route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10
SEH
Wednesday 22 February 2006 1.10pm
I quite agree with Jac. The extension to the route sounds like a good idea, but where on earth will they put a bus stop on Long Lane? It's already full of construction site traffic and the pavement is often closed to pedestrians.
Wednesday 22 February 2006 1.26pm
I agree some serious thought would need to be given to the positioning of the bus stops-where we are there are entrances to buildings and car parks every few feet and to have a bus stopping there would be very dangerous with vehicles trying to pull out or round unsighted. These are not large buses though and there would only be a couple of stops in the road so I would hope TFL would use comman sense when doing it--or would that be too much to ask!!!
Wednesday 22 February 2006 1.44pm
Following on from above i have e mailed the customer services people we received the letter from and asked them if they could tell us where the bus stops will be sited, I have pointed out concerns for safety for drivers/cyclists/pedestrians due to the amount of side entrances in Long Lane, the narrowness of the street and the never ending building works. I have suggested it would be best to consult with residents now rather than face problems later.

I did also say that i thought it was a good move to get the bus route and i was sure they would have already addressed these concerns when deciding to put the bus route through there!!

I will let you know when i hear back from them-or if I hear back!!
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.16pm
whats that turning off rodney road near english martyrs school Dee Dee.. is it Flint St or henshaw street? they managed to run a bus down there and it is a very narrow road...:-(
Jac
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.22pm
jan - its not just that long lane is a narrow road, it is that it is a busy narrow road and is also a designated emergency vechile route (I think they are called blue routes) so you often get speeding ambulances, police cars and fire engines. This has been used before as a reason/excuse for not putting in traffic calming measures in the past. Siren blarring as a type.
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.24pm
Good idea about consulting people early - but I should think they've already decided about the bus stops. I too share the concern, I hope that drivers will be sensible and wait behind the busses rather than rush to overtake them when its not safe. Long Lane is already a very horrid road to cycle down. Its is just the width that tempts drivers to pass cyclists when there is not really the width to do so safely, so drivers go really close by rather than wait a few seconds. If the cycle needs to wobble slightly for any reason, eg. a pothole or a bit of rubbish on the road, thats it, you're under a car. I feel it would be safer if it was slightly narrower, as it would be more obvious that passing was not possible, and if it was slightly wider then there would be room, but as it is its just exactly the wrong width!
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.39pm
Jan

not sure is that part of the 42 route? i know that residents on that route have had lots of problems as the buses cannot get through -mainly due to parking and have clipped cars etc as well as causing tailbacks when get stuck but the C10 are the littlier buses and should be able to get through ok. Those problems are mainly due to inconsiderate car drivers and bad planning -i.e. as you went into East Street from OKR there was a bus stop a few yards down and if the bus stopped for a while it used to block off OKR as well.
Wednesday 22 February 2006 2.41pm
So if they do close Bermondsey Street with their Village Square theme...Long Lane will be far busier!
Wednesday 1 March 2006 5.33pm
had e mail to say will respond with in 10 days so the route will probably be running by the time i hear back!
Thursday 2 March 2006 8.33pm
What goes around comes around - with the minor alteration of going via Long Lane and of course going through Pilmico to get to Victoria, it replaces the old 70 that was ceased in 1990 which ran down Jamacia rd, London bridge, southwark st, Westminister bridge, Victoria st to Victoria Station. Should never really have dropped it - but it was dropped because it was felt that everyone would use the Jubilee line to go as far as Westminister.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions