London SE1 community website

Extension of C10 bus route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Monday 20 March 2006 12.24pm
Jackie, we will have to devise an itinerary for you, for a day out on the C10, a true SE1 bus, visiting as many forum members as possible who live on its route.
Monday 20 March 2006 12.42pm
Has anyone any idea why there seems to be no C10 bus stop heading towards E&C, between Jamaica Road and Long Lane, when there are several going the other way? Is there something against Abbey Street?
Monday 20 March 2006 1.21pm
i noticed that seemed very odd
Monday 20 March 2006 1.57pm
maurits wrote:
Honestly, who wants to be in Victoria? Long Live Long Lane!

It's more of a need to be than want to be, for those of us who work there. It's improved lately but it's still such a dreary place.
Monday 20 March 2006 2.06pm
Dreary? Are we talking about the same Long Lane?
Monday 20 March 2006 3.23pm
Julie wrote:
Dreary? Are we talking about the same Long Lane?

No, Victoria. Nearly everything there is grey.
Monday 20 March 2006 3.51pm
This new bus is good news for us in the Surrey Docks too. It goes to lots of useful places for which I used to have to pay for a cab if I didn't feel like cycling. We lose the direct 225 to Lewisham which now only comes as far as Canada Water, but overall it's a big improvement for me.
Monday 20 March 2006 3.59pm
On the subject of bus stops on the new route - there is one opposite our building (so just by St. George's / Tabard Street, on the side of the road from TBR to Borough High Street), but no painted bus area on the street. Result: the cars parked along both sides of the road make it difficult for the bus to stop but even more difficult for passengers to attract the driver's attention.

I watched a lady with a pushchair fail to get the attention of two C10s on Sunday morning - they just sailed straight past...she didn't look very happy.
Jac
Monday 20 March 2006 6.49pm
Siduhe wrote
On the subject of bus stops on the new route - there is one opposite our building (so just by St. George's / Tabard Street, on the side of the road from TBR to Borough High Street), but no painted bus area on the street. Result: the cars parked along both sides of the road make it difficult for the bus to stop but even more difficult for passengers to attract the driver's attention.

I watched a lady with a pushchair fail to get the attention of two C10s on Sunday morning - they just sailed straight past...she didn't look very happy.

I noticed the very same bus stop today and a bus sail past it and thought it would be hard and dangerous for the bus to stop there and thought it was a poor choice of postion for a bus stop. (although I guess when the tabard square development is finished it might be resited). I also thought the bus stop opposite Bermondsey square (Mistakenly labeld as going to borough) was not ideal eaither as both the road and pavement is very narrow there. It could become quite a popular stop on friday and it would be very hard to pass more than a couple of people standing waiting for a bus without having to step into the road. Unless they all line up very neatly againest the church yard wall.

The response from Dee Dee inquiry to customer services for the route stated "my officers identified appropriate sites for bus stops in consultation with the Police and local council officers. We believe the current sites are safe and operationally suitable for bus service operation. However, their suitability will be kept under review once the service starts operating."

To be honest I am surprised that they felt these two stop were safe and operationally suitable.
Tuesday 21 March 2006 12.36am
Boo.

There is always one dissenter.

You may all be on the bus map and able to visit each other, but Monday morning was sad. The bus stop, normally full of kids and teachers trying to get to schools north of the river, were no longer there. That nice bus that takes us near to Tatchbrook Street Market and Victoria Bus Station, with the opportunity for an excursion around Pimlico, has gone. And just at a time when the service was getting decent.

Once in the bad old days, about four years ago, my neighbour decided to kick up a big fuss about the hopelessness of the Number 3. He eventually got invited to TfL HQ where buses were satellite tracked across London. Six number 3s were stuck in a jam around Brixton and the other half dozen were trying to inch their way round Trafalgar Square. So he asked about the C10. It transpired that there was not a single one on the road. People were standing at stops waiting for busses to trun up, but there weren't any.

Then dear Limebourne lost the contract and for a while we had some really jolly buses in different colours which looked like they had already done lengthy service in anohter part of the country. Then what we have now.

And now it's gone. Despite our loyalty.

In the hope of making you all feel worse. When my daughter was about 18 months and her Grandmother was visiting , my daughter looked up from her buggy and shouted "C10 bus". She was right. I don't think they were her first words. But not far off. The Grandma assumed she had actually read the number and was very chuffed with the preccocious grandchild. (She probably thought the brains had skipped a generation - certainly the spelling gene has.)

Interestingly there were no signs saying that the bus had been rerouted. They just took the C10 off the top of the bus stop sign. I was able to warn one woman who said she had wondered why one was taking so long to arrive.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions