London SE1 community website

Chambers Wharf

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11
Tuesday 17 January 2006 4.55pm
No, it's the river side in front of the new apartment / office building, 'The Lunar Building' [all white and steel panels and glass, very minimal square construction, had a snoop around a couple of weeks ago], and it's on the left near the dead end of the road going east along Bermondsey Wall East, where you are forced to turn right 'inland' through the new Tempus development because Chambers Wharf is ahead of you.

Walk towards the river along the left side of the white building and you get to a paved area with a high flood protection wall in front of you and the riverscape. Hope that's clear, I think I may have just confused myself...
Tuesday 17 January 2006 8.17pm
I shall nip along tomorrow on my bicycle, you have aroused my curiosity.
Wednesday 18 January 2006 6.47am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hays_plc claims that all of the property asses were sold in the 1980s, but it wouldn't surprise me if some sites are held by other wholly owned subsidiaries of the KIO.

lol - I'm sorry no-one else has made a joke yet about the selling of their "property asses", but I'm sure there's some mileage in there somewhere...

I vaguely recall that once upon a time I saw a planning notice on a lampost outside Chambers Wharf which revealed that it was owned by St Martin's Property (one of the trading name of the Kuwaiti investment companies I think). I was a bit surprised about this (don't know why, since it is perfectly logical of them to have snapped up as much river frontage as possible in the early 1980s), so I asked one of their people that I met at some other event (where the main topic was their selling the Potters Field land to Ghastly Homes) about it, and he confirmed they were sitting tight until the land value had risen sufficiently. I'm sure that if they are able to gain some short term income from the site before it is redeveloped, they'll be pleased about that.

Don't think the people who will have bought the (presumably expensive) houses/flats next door will be overjoyed about all the construction traffic though. Caveat emptor etc etc (contd. p94)
Wednesday 18 January 2006 6.55am
PS Could someone with a digital camera and (ideally) a flickr account take some pictures of this area and let me know when they're online? I'm really curious to see how this area has changed in the last couple of years!

Ta.
Wednesday 18 January 2006 10.55am
Its not changed much, Andrew. Chambers Wharf still stands, bold and empty.
Wednesday 18 January 2006 11.44am
But there are apparently other changes nearby (given the message at the start of this thread), and I imagine the houses between Chambers' and Bermondsey Wall West have finally been completed?

Any photos of the landscaping in the square behind the Tanner Street end of Devon Mansions would also be appreciated!
Wednesday 18 January 2006 1.13pm
There are some images on Berkeley homes site for the
(edited to add: and also on this page for the
various buildings in their "Tempus" development at Bermondsey Wall.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18 January 2006 1.16pm by Lang Rabbie.
Wednesday 18 January 2006 2.26pm
I'll take my camera when I go.
Thursday 19 January 2006 7.49am
Thanks LR and TUMJ :)
zee
Thursday 19 January 2006 1.30pm
This morning the builders were doing something to the concrete benches they had there.maybe so we can sit and have a river view.or maybe they'll become flower beds....The river wall is really high there.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions