London SE1 community website

Chambers Wharf

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11
Thursday 19 January 2006 2.10pm
The ground floor is being offered for restaurant use with 'river views' but the height of the wall is such that there's not much chance of seeing the river from any seating - except perhaps the top half of Tower Bridge, but the vista will not be as open as it is along Butlers Wharf.
Thursday 19 January 2006 2.11pm
Perhaps they will rig up something clever with mirrors (for the river view), Jane. A sort of periscope thing? It could be a submarine-themed restaurant.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 22 January 2006 12.45pm
I have been told by other locals that gold bullion/other precious commidities are stored within Chambers Wharf. This use of the site appears well known in the immediate area. From time to time brown securicor type vans arrive at the premises in Chambers Street and the shutters are then raised to permit entry. When these shutters are raised I have seen robust metal barriers immediately behind, similar to those protecting 10 Downing Street from forced entry by vehicles. These barriers, apparently operated electrically, can be made to drop flat to allow persons and vehicles to pass. I have also been told, for what its worth, that the ground floor can be raised and lowered as happens on aircraft carriers. The reason for this, as with the prominent CCTV cameras, is presumably the enhancement of site security.

On a different note the building itself is an eyesore and the sooner it is demolished the better. The same goes for the derelict building on the opposite side of Chambers Street. The problem then would be the nature of any replacements - something smart please as this part of the riverside is very scruffy compared to the area to the west. The unkept appearance of this part of the Thames riverside looks like post-code discrimination to me. (the area in question being SE16 rather than the more favoured SE1).
Monday 23 January 2006 12.03pm
i live round the corner from chambers wharf on bermondsey wall east and have noticed strange lorries coming in at the dead of night. I thought the warehouse had something to do with airline cargo as the lorries have all been to do with airline carriers.

my landlord did tell me that it can't be redeveloped where it currently extends out over the river because there are no foundations and it would be too expensive, but i guess 'expensive' is relative depends - on who owns it. there's a lot of oil in kuwait...
Tuesday 14 November 2006 2.39pm
It appears Chambers Wharf in SE16 is being considered for demolition. A number of surveyors are measuring up/taking notes in the immediate area and have been doing so for some weeks. I understand the owners are considering the redevelopment of the land - including the demolition of the cold stores on the other side of Chambers Street. The present buildings are an eyesore and this is hopefully an opportunity to improve the area. Unfortunately the timescale is one of several years and will depend on the granting of planning permission.
Wednesday 22 November 2006 9.30am
Cllr Paul Baichoo announced at Bermondsey Community Council last night that the developers of Chambers Wharf will be holding an exhibition of their plans at the Beormund Centre, Abbey Street this Friday from 5.30pm and this Saturday from 10am.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 28 November 2006 11.53am
Chambers Wharf ive been told has been marked as a historic site by the Government and is not allowed to be knocked down,along with other riverside wharfs.

Also heard people use it for filming such as the Bill.
Tuesday 28 November 2006 6.42pm
I went to the exhibition and it looks very good. Thames Path will be opened up and we will be able to walk through the site from Chambers Street to the river.
zee
Tuesday 28 November 2006 8.11pm
I missed the exhibition on Friday and Saturday.
Does anyone know if there is going to be another chance to see it?
Wednesday 14 February 2007 4.36pm
It all seems to have gone quiet on the development of Chambers Wharf. Has anyone heard anything recently?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions